Thread: How to upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4 and to have access to my external disk

Beans

How to upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4 and to have access to my external disk

I have just instaled Ubuntu paralel to my Windows 7 laptop and do not know how to:
    (a) upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4
    (b) import writer files from the Windos side of my computer
    (c) import files from my backup externel drive
    (d) open my personal email acounts

Will I have to lose everything I have in Windows 7 partition? So far, I have only been able to import files through Drobox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4 and to have access to my external d

Quote Originally Posted by PedroPV View Post
    I have just instaled Ubuntu paralel to my Windows 7 laptop and do not know how to:
    (a) upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4
    <snip> .... .
    This may help with the upgrade part - http://www.ubuntukiller.com/2013/04/...o-install.html
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: How to upgrade Libreoffice 3 to Libreoffice 4 and to have access to my external d

Quote Originally Posted by PedroPV View Post
    (b) import writer files from the Windos side of my computer
    Do you know what filesystem type your windows partition is? It could be exfat, which means you'll need to install exfat-utils for it to be accessible to Ubuntu.
    "You know how I know Kate supports every single programming language known to man? Because it supports Wesnoth Markup Language, that's why." - walyndrist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    This may help with the upgrade part - http://www.ubuntukiller.com/2013/04/...o-install.html
    If the libreoffice is pre-installed , 3.x version.. then a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    is enough to upgrade the current version to 4.x

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25261...-libreoffice-4

LibreOffice is pre-installed in Ubuntu (vanilla). If I remember correctly is not pre-installed in some flavors.. (Lubuntu - Xubuntu... )

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the external disk, plug the disk into the PC and then open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and post back here the results of

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l 
    sudo parted -l

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

To import files from Windows, you should be able to mount the Windows partition within Ubuntu, then navigate to whatever directory they are stored in. I believe you can mount it from 'Places' but it's been a while since I dual partitioned so I'm not positive.

To import files from your external HDD you should be able to just plug it in and copy them to whatever device you want them on, is the external HDD not registering when you plug it in?

To open your email accounts, do you want to do so through a web browser or a client? Through a web browser it's the same in any operating system, just go to the website and login. If you want to use a client, I recommend Mozilla Thunderbird which should be pre-installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For the upgrade part and to make sure things work correctly with Libreoffice do this:
    sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*
    sudo add- apt-repository ppa: libreoffice/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice
    This ppa will give you libreoffice 4.0X and give you the updates as well.