Thread: Apache2 doesn't work

Beans

Apache2 doesn't work

Hello, everybody!
    Recently I decided to install local server on my Ubuntu 12.04. And I installed apache2, phpmyadmin, php5 trhough terminal. However, when I'm trying go to "localhost" it shows nothing at all or "localhost/phpmyadmin" it shows error 404, requested url was not found. I reinstalled apache using software center, still nothing works. May be you have any idea what goes wrong?

Beans

Re: Apache2 doesn't work

Have you checked that the apache2 service started OK and is listening on the expected port?

Code:
    service apache2 status
    Code:
    sudo netstat -nlp | grep apache

Beans

it says:

Code:
    arriva@arriva-1000H:~$ service apache2 status
    Apache2 is running (pid 979).

arriva@arriva-1000H:~$ sudo netstat -nlp | grep apache
    tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      979/apache2
    Last edited by Arriva; June 1st, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just recently finished a tutorial on setting up a lamp server on my Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop. It should not be much different than 12.10.
    Mu use case was to have multiple sites served from my user directory instead of just /var/www. There may be some helpful hints there that you can use.

http://joao.machado-family.com/2013/06/04/setup-ubuntu-13-04-local-web-server/
    "In happier times, philosophers discussed the problem of man; now they discuss man as a problem!" (Bishop Fulton Sheen, from his book "Peace of Soul" )

Beans

Thanks for your notation, but there the guy says that it would work for 13, not for 12. Sorry to say, I cannot aply those knowledge to my system.

Beans

Well it looks like apache2 is only listening on the tcp6 interface - I'm sorry, I can't really help beyond that as I have no experience with IPv6 however there are a few search hits that might be relevant e.g.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1823846

http://serverfault.com/questions/366...gh-its-running

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try to learn about this more. I tried something offered on those forums, the results are:

Code:
    root@arriva-1000H:/home/arriva# netstat -a
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
    tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 localhost:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN     
    udp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                                                  
    udp        0      0 localhost:54558         *:*
    These lines about localhost only. I have no idea why when I'm trying to go to localhost it shows just plain blank page, though apache2 is running.
    Last edited by Arriva; June 5th, 2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: no code sign

Beans

what happens if you try with ip6-localhost instead of localhost? or ::1 ?

Beans

If you mean just type in the url of browser, then:

ip6-localhost == still blank page

::1 == address is restricted

also tried 127.0.0.1 == blank page again