Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Chrome to the Software Center

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Bringing Chrome to the Software Center

An official bug has finally been reported, please support the cause.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/1186564
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bringing Chrome to the Software Center

Guess it would be nice, but I don't see it as a huge deal since you can download the deb from google, and installing the deb automatically adds google's repo for updates.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

You know, you can just download the deb from Google and installing it would add a repository to your sources list. I don't see the point of your cause.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Canonical should just get an agreement with Chrome to make it the default in Ubuntu since they will probably be making Chromium the default anyway....i am sure Google would be only too happy to have them make Chrome the default of the most popular linux distro...

As far as you Firefox fans...well, 5 minutes in the ubuntu software center would give you your favorite back...so everyone should be happy...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Canonical should just get an agreement with Chrome to make it the default in Ubuntu since they will probably be making Chromium the default anyway....i am sure Google would be only too happy to have them make Chrome the default of the most popular linux distro...

As far as you Firefox fans...well, 5 minutes in the ubuntu software center would give you your favorite back...so everyone should be happy...
    Chrome is proprietary, whereas Ubuntu's mission is supposedly to promote free software (that hasn't changed as far as I knowl). While it allows proprietary stuffs to be installed like most other Linux distros, It is going too far to make a proprietary browser the defaul, It is just against the professed philosphy of Ubuntu and sends the wrong message, whether Google agrees is besides the point. At best it can put Chrome in the partners' repo, but as I said before, I don't really see the point as it is so easy to install the deb and set up the repository with just one click,.

EDITED: Besides, there are ongoing privacy concerns about Chrome, it is going to be a very bad move if Ubuntu really to put Chrome as the default, as if the controversy about shopping lens is not enough already.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 1st, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To me, It is pretty much just as easy to download it from the website. I really don't see how it matters that you cant get it in the software centre?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

people complain about Amazon, but embrace the actual spyware company.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Good point...i can just imagine the fuss that would be buzzing on these forums
    Well, like you said, they could put it in the repos...and the license agreement could pop up during the install much like it does with the Microsoft fonts option on restricted extras package....
    Though, as you say, the deb is so easy to install...in fact i download the deb and open it in the Ubuntu Software Center which installs it from there...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's probably less about free vs nonfree and more about google controls the chrome repos and it would be up to them if they wished to let those repos be included in the ubuntu repo systems.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged.

Please do not start duplicate threads in different places in the Forums.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast