Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to safely remove hard drive

Beans

How to safely remove hard drive

So as the title says, how do i safely remove my hard drive? When i plug it in i don't get anything on taskbar or desktop showing that it is plugged in. If i go to prefrences than disks i do see it there. The thing is that it don't give me the option of removing it or ejecting it. Could it be because the entire drive is encrypted with truecrypt?
    UPDATE: Still need help with this.

Any and all help on this would be appreciated! And yes i have been reading and researching about this for hours and there really don't seem to be any definitive answer.

Since i have your attention. How do i install just the codecs from ubuntu extras package? Chrome already has flash player so no need to install and i don't use java. Not sure what else comes in that package.
    UPDATE: Found how to install just the codecs. Thanks for the help.

Why the heck does my clock keep freezing? Did i configure it wrong. Here is what i have %I:%m%p and the line below it, %A%x
    UPDATE: Found the problem to this. I just had to capitalize the M and the P.

BTW: How do you mark a thread as solved? I would like to mark my other thread as solved but don't know how. Thank you for any help!
    Thanks for the help on this Bashing-om
    Last edited by achilles316; June 10th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to safely remove hard drive

achilles316; Hi !

I will take a stab at trying to answer your questions.

1. Not knowing what version or distro you are running the response is equally ambiguous. Look about for a "System Settings" and poke about some more for "removable media" insure the appropriate boxes are checked.
    location varies depending on the version, the distribution and the desktop installed.
    1a, Never ever never unplug an external device with out "safely removing" //else file system damage will result at some level, depending on what is going on, perhaps disastrous. Happy with your setting ? then -> plug in the device. My preference to see if the system is aware of the external device is -> from desk top: key combo ctl+alt+t yields a terminal; In this terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    if the device is recognized there is one other entry in that output than are internal hard disk(s) in the machine.

2, extras //Software Center and search on
    ubuntu-restricted-extras, else: terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    3. clock:What desk top ya running ? LXDE ? Will have to get back with ya on that - I am booted into xfce presently.

and finally 4.
    Interim method:
    Go to the first post in your thread. Click on "Edit Post". Now click on the orange "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced editor change the prefix to "SOLVED". Now click on the orange "Save Changes" button.

let us know how you get on and how else we can help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    achilles316; Hi !

I will take a stab at trying to answer your questions.

1. Not knowing what version or distro you are running the response is equally ambiguous. Look about for a "System Settings" and poke about some more for "removable media" insure the appropriate boxes are checked.
    location varies depending on the version, the distribution and the desktop installed.
    1a, Never ever never unplug an external device with out "safely removing" //else file system damage will result at some level, depending on what is going on, perhaps disastrous. Happy with your setting ? then -> plug in the device. My preference to see if the system is aware of the external device is -> from desk top: key combo ctl+alt+t yields a terminal; In this terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    if the device is recognized there is one other entry in that output than are internal hard disk(s) in the machine.

Kernal: Linux 3.8.0-23-generic (i686)
    Compiled: #34-UbuntuSMP
    Desktop Env: LXDE (Lubuntu)

Not sure what else you might need. Let me know and i will look for it.

UPDATE: I tried that
    sudo fdisk -lu in terminal and 2 disks popped up. I take it the first one is the main drive where Lubuntu is installed. And i take it the second one is the external hard drive. So it seems it is recognized. Now just to find a way to safely remove it as i still can't find a way to do so.

2, extras //Software Center and search on
    ubuntu-restricted-extras, else: terminal:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    I already installed this. Was wondering how to install only what i need though. Like i said, flash already comes installed with chrome so no need to download again. Java i never use it so will only waste space.

3. clock:What desk top ya running ? LXDE ? Will have to get back with ya on that - I am booted into xfce presently.
    Yes LXDE, and i think i found the solution. I just capitalized the M and the P and everything seems to be working fine. For now anyways lol.

and finally 4.
    Interim method: Go to the first post in your thread. Click on "Edit Post". Now click on the orange "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced editor change the prefix to "SOLVED". Now click on the orange "Save Changes" button.

let us know how you get on and how else we can help
    Thanks, will mark my other thread as solved now. And thank you for the help!
    Last edited by achilles316; June 1st, 2013 at 04:34 AM.

Beans

No one has an answer for this? Right now it seems the best way to go about it is to turn of the computer and wait for the external hard drive to power down and than unplug it. There has to be another way to do this.

Anyone? Any ideas? Thoughts?

Beans

I can't directly answer your question. LXDE is actually the only ubuntu desktop shell I haven't tried.

But google is your friend ... under "lubuntu unmount drive":

http://askubuntu.com/questions/98784...ive-on-lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by achilles316 View Post
    Since i have your attention. How do i install just the codecs from ubuntu extras package? Chrome already has flash player so no need to install and i don't use java. Not sure what else comes in that package.
    ubuntu-restricted-extras is a metapackage. Its only function is to depend on other packages. If you don't want to install all the packages that it depends on simply install the ones that you do.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

I have experienced problems with the standard LXDE file manager, PCManFM, when trying to remove external drives. My solution was to install Nautilus and use that instead. In the sidebar of Nautilus, Right-Click on the drive name and the on "Safely Remove Drive" - hope this helps.

Beans

Thanks guys, the thing is that i think i am doing something wrong as i can't seem to install either udisk or nautilus. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by achilles316; June 1st, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

achilles316; OK....

What method are you employing to install "udisk" and "nautilus" ?

Is your package manager in shape ?->
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    looking to see if there are errors in the package management acquisition process.

but 1 small step in a process

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    achilles316; OK....

What method are you employing to install "udisk" and "nautilus" ?

Is your package manager in shape ?->
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    looking to see if there are errors in the package management acquisition process.

but 1 small step in a process

Here is what i got at the end after using the sudo apt-get update

Something wicked happened resolving 'dl.google.com:http' (-11 - System error)

W: Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/de...le/Release.gpg Something wicked happened resolving 'dl.google.com:http' (-11 - System error)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Here is what i get when i do the upgrade.

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast