Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If Ubuntu disappeared

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: If Ubuntu disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    People that stick with it and watch the changes can see a path that is being followed .........

Here is one Blog I read and the user seems to sum it up quite well
    https://micahflee.com/2013/01/why-im...tu-for-debian/

I don't agree with him though. The analysis is flimsy. Canonical is probably trying to emulating Google, but more open, I don't see them pulling an Apple. Did they start making their own hardware? Is there any plan to close off the OS or control what you can do on Ubuntu? None of this is happening, Selling ad through search? yes. But that is more Google like than Apple.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 4th, 2013 at 02:39 AM.

Beans

Well its hard to tell if Canonical will go the apple route, there is a lot of reasonable FUD going on and Canonical is a part of the blame.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Debian Stable ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

monkeybrain2012
    When did Canonical say that Ubuntu will become paid?
    I'll assume "become paid" means charging for the OS.

I never said THEY DID! My statement was: "but I'd certainly loose respect for Canonical". I'd, as in I would. Which doesn't equate to present tense. I also made this statement in my post: "Should Canonical commercialize Ubuntu". Please note the word SHOULD. No where did I claim to have any knowledge of the commercialization of Ubuntu. I was simply sharing my opinion "SHOULD" the situation arise.

As for FUDD - it's all FUDD, until it's not. Until Canonical acknowledges the community and punctuates it with an appropriate commitment, the FUDD will continue and I suspect the defensive posturing will also.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd go to Crunchbang. Maybe even say 'F' it all and just run Puppy all the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Well its hard to tell if Canonical will go the apple route, there is a lot of reasonable FUD going on and Canonical is a part of the blame.
    Maybe they will, to a point. I could see them offering the base OS for free, but have options to buy preinstalled with support. To me, it's kind of obvious that canonical is going to focus on the mobile market. But that's ok with me. I look forward to the day when my "phone" is my computer, and only need to dock it to an lcd (wirelessly of course) to have the desktop experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Max Blyss View Post
    I'd go to Crunchbang. Maybe even say 'F' it all and just run Puppy all the time.
    I use #! on my laptop and it's freaking awesome. Still have Ubuntu on one of my desktop drives, no plans to change it anytime soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Mint with MATE
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Mint with MATE
    If Ubuntu disappears there will be no Mint unless they based it on Debian or something, but it won't be the same Mint.

Besides, there is a far far greater chance for MATE to disappear than Ubuntu, and probably very soon too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    If Ubuntu disappears there will be no Mint unless they based it on Debian or something, but it won't be the same Mint.

Besides, there is a far far greater chance for MATE to disappear than Ubuntu, and probably very soon too.
    Possible but then again it maybe better. Maybe not so MATE but what ever they decide to do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast