Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: If Ubuntu disappeared

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mint or Debian

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    What partnership with MS?? I don't think Ubuntu is going away any time soon. This is just a hypothethical question.
    It's a hypothetical question but one that has a real answer:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...untu-on-azure/

They've also brought in top level staff from MS. That won't grow their business...it turns out bad for those that have done it before.

But like I said it's not over yet, or at least not quite.

Even if it is, Debian is still a good option for somewhat experienced users and Mint for the beginners. I like the idea of Fedora, but it is too shaky to recommend to the beginners.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...untu-on-azure/
    Haha! Is that why Mark S closed bug #1? But seriously, I think you are making too big a deal out of it. Your link links to another article and it says azure will support Centos and Opensuse as well, and I guess it supports the Mac too.

Even if it is, Debian is still a good option for somewhat experienced users and Mint for the beginners. I like the idea of Fedora, but it is too shaky to recommend to the beginners.
    Well acrually I find Fedora easier to set up than Debian for hardware support. My wifi works out of box with Ubuntu and Fedora, but needs a lot of tweaking with Debian and now with a kernel update it isn't working in the new kernel ( still works in the old one), I still haven't figured it out.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 3rd, 2013 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    They've also brought in top level staff from MS. That won't grow their business...it turns out bad for those that have done it before.
    Canonical is a tech company, it has many people who worked at other tech companies in their careers, including IBM, Google, Sun, Microsoft, HP, Oracle, Novell/Suse, and so on. What do you mean by "bringing in top level staff from MS"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: If Ubuntu disappeared

Mint...Debian based.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans

Probably I will use Gentoo again

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are lots of distros beside Ubuntu that aim to replace Windows for casual users. They're all worth checking out... I would choose based on community, repositories, loyal followers, and a solid history. I like the Debian base of course, because it's familiar. But I think I would explore a little outside "the Debian box" just to explore more options. There are Slackware-based distros and RHEL-based distros that do the same things with Slackware and RHEL that Ubuntu, Mint, Mepis, SalineOS, and others do with Debian. I read a review of PCLinuxOS (written by a Mint contributor!) that intrigues me because it offers a slimmed-down KDE interface that might even work on my older hardware. So many choices, all so wonderful!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

23dornot23
    After all there are people paying for Microsoft and then Paying for Software to run on it too ..... imagine the course
    I can't and won't speak for others, but I'd certainly loose respect for Canonical. They've stated (since I first installed 7.04), that Ubuntu is free and always will be. This questions a companies integrity and what future commitments they'll meet. I suspect from a marketing standpoint that the name Ubuntu would have significantly more recognition. Thus, it would make little sense to re-name the product for commercial ($$$) purposes.

Should Canonical commercialize Ubuntu, I see no reason to participate. Canonical should not have made that commitment, nor should they alter it now - newest release or any release. I'm just one user with 5 systems, but I also impact numerous others systems. My discussion with those users, will point out the violation of integrity and suggest they select an alternative distro. Then assist (to my potential) them in making the transition.

Lars Noodén
    But like I said it's not over yet, or at least not quite.
    You seem knowledgeable regarding this topic. Could you share any additional info with respect to a time line, intent or plan? It appears that Canonical's partnering with MS is focused on Azure. However, I agree that historically partnering with MS rarely benefits anyone but MS.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    I can't and won't speak for others, but I'd certainly loose respect for Canonical. They've stated (since I first installed 7.04), that Ubuntu is free and always will be. This questions a companies integrity and what future commitments they'll meet. I suspect from a marketing standpoint that the name Ubuntu would have significantly more recognition. Thus, it would make little sense to re-name the product for commercial ($$$) purposes.

When did Canonical say that Ubuntu will become paid? You sound as though this is an established fact while in truth there is not a shred of evidence to support that. Ubuntu is the only linux desktop OS that has any chance of becoming mainstream. If MS really sees Ubuntu as a threat I am sure it would be happy that there are people from the FOSS community spreading FUD and rumours against Ubuntu for free.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 4th, 2013 at 02:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's very simple really...Canonical is getting involved with various commercial aspects (like phones, tablets, tvs, etc) and other ventures, which is fine, because the more $ that roll in, the more development there will be in making ubuntu better and better of course...but ubuntu as a distro to use free and enjoy, will always be as it is...it's a great balance...but the doomsayers here keep predicting the end of free ubuntu as we know it...they just blow up everything in the minds and look at the dark side and assume the worse....what a shame...

Bottom line is...ubuntu will never be like microsoft...but it will continue to get more well known and bring in more converts AWAY from microsoft

Beans

People that stick with it and watch the changes can see a path that is being followed .........

Here is one Blog I read and the user seems to sum it up quite well
    https://micahflee.com/2013/01/why-im...tu-for-debian/

Most people can see a direction that its been geared up for and denial is the first thing that strikes users
    as odd ...... never say never is something we learn as life passes us by - one thing is for sure things
    constantly change - 5 years from now no one knows for sure who will own Ubuntu .... will it get bought out.

These things can happen when things take off ...... but that is looking too far ahead and no one is doomsaying
    if they did charge .... quite the opposite ... would probable make Ubuntu take off and get respected more.

Try giving people things for free in the streets they do not want to know - put a price tag on something and they
    immediately think it must be worth something .... possibly why microsoft took off originally and linux did not do
    so well ..... as well as how through law Bill Gates and his Father seem to have worked as a good team in sorting
    their own prospects out to suit themselves.

I could see a point in the future where a big company might want to buy another one out to get it off its back.

But its not unrealistic .... as these things happen again and again in big business scenarios.

Interesting discussion though .... people do not raise questions like this unless its somehow got into the back
    of their mind that one day something may happen ........ never say never ......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast