Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucid still updating ?

Beans

Lucid still updating ?

I've just seen a few updates (libgnutls-dev,ibgnutils2,dhcp3-client,dhcp3-common) for 10.04 Lucid : I'm curious,is that normal ? Does a recently superseded release still receive occasional security updates ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lucid still updating ?

dont expect to get too much updates now; only the securty ones
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans

And I'd expect to only see security updates for packages that a server might use, since the server version doesn't go EoL for another almost 2 years. For future LTS releases, this will be different as the server and desktop versions will both be supported for 5 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you're running the Server version, you will only get very few updates, as dino99 said (and ignore the next sentence).
    If you're running the Desktop edition, it has run out of support and there will be no more updates. Please update to a newer release of Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

I'm using the desktop edition,and I'm positive that there are,as I'm writing this,those few updates that I've listed available.
    And I'd expect to only see security updates for packages that a server might use, since the server version doesn't go EoL for another almost 2 years
    maybe is something like that,which I would call (if it were actually the case) a very savvy move on Ubuntu's part:since the server edition has still 2 years of life left,why not share at least the basic security updates with the desktop version ? It wouldn't cost much,I suppose.

Which brings us to the point that of course I know that there are updated releases of Ubuntu,and that's exactly why I'm still on Lucid:I've decided that newer versions are not my cup of tea when I tried the first betas of 11.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So maybe time for trying Xubuntu 13.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Not really... of course I've been keeping an eye on what has been released after Lucid,tried the live CDs,even done some 12.04 virtualbox installations,nothing fits the bill as Lucid for me-and I have no reason to believe that 13.04 will be better,from my standpoint.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

How bout 12o4 with gnome-classic desktop?

Its a knock-off of your old 10o4 desktop. Here's some tricks for it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cogset View Post
    ...Which brings us to the point that of course I know that there are updated releases of Ubuntu,and that's exactly why I'm still on Lucid:I've decided that newer versions are not my cup of tea when I tried the first betas of 11.04.
    Same here. I have used Ubuntu since Breezy Badger but the introduction of Unity and EOL for Lucid has led to a parting of the ways for me.

If you want to keep the look and feel of a "traditional" Linux distro like Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) then I can recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). The MATE desktop, in particular, is very similar in function as it retains the Gnome2 applications (albeit renamed!) and works well with "older" machines. LMDE/MATE is a worthy successor to the best Ubuntu releases IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As another alternative;
    How 'bout installing the 13.04 minimal ...and add only what you want ?

I am presently so engaged, very pleasantly surprised at the results:
    xfce4 for the desk top environment -> fast !
    gedit for my program editor (gotta find some icon themes)
    google-chrome for my browser -> fast !

I have managed to turn this into quit a learning experience ...but the installs are painless.

just my bit
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast