Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucid still updating ?

Beans

Re: Lucid still updating ?

I have to say that the demise of Lucid made me try an handful of possible alternatives,the main ones being :

-Kubuntu (indeed very interesting,but compared to the easy and friendly Gnome 2,KDE is just too complicated for me)

-Mint 13 (excellent concept,in principle the ideal continuation of Lucid with the Mate environment,in practice lots of bugs and support not anywhere near this community)

-Mint Debian (very interesting,much faster than Ubuntu and Mint,a great first taste of a real Debian system,again great concept but various bugs and not much support)

-Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate desktop environment installed,usable but again not as smooth as Lucid

I'm puzzled,but actually nothing I've tried so far works as nicely and smoothly as Lucid does,that's all I can say.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cogset View Post
    I'm puzzled,but actually nothing I've tried so far works as nicely and smoothly as Lucid does,that's all I can say.
    Your computer specs. might be the problem. Like it or not modern Linux systems need a lot higher specs, than those from 3 years ago.
    I have an Intel i3 processor with 4 gig of memory, and have to admit that 12.04 LTS with Unity, is the smoothest most responsive Linux system I have used.

The problem with harping back to gnome 2, is that it's dead & buried, people need to get used to Gnome 3. After living with it for 6 months, I went back to a gnome 2 system, and IMO it looked old & dated, I couldn't wait to get back to Gnome 3.
    The 12.04 LTS is now rock solid stable, & Unity is probably the best desktop environment on Gnome 3.
    I do dual boot with Kubuntu, which I also like, but for me Unity is still snappier & smoother.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cogset View Post
    ...-Mint 13 (excellent concept,in principle the ideal continuation of Lucid with the Mate environment,in practice lots of bugs and support not anywhere near this community)

-Mint Debian (very interesting,much faster than Ubuntu and Mint,a great first taste of a real Debian system,again great concept but various bugs and not much support)...
    I am puzzled by your reference to "bugs" and a lack of support with Mint.

Totally bug-free software has yet to be written but my experience of Mint is that it has very few unresolved bugs and, IMHO, no more than other Linux distros. Depending on the Mint release (13 or LMDE) it will have either an Ubuntu or Debian base underneath, with the addition of either/both the MATE or Cinnamon desktop. Obviously, any Ubuntu or Debian bugs are not directly related to the Mint distribution.

Although the Mint forums may not seem to be as active as Ubuntu forums this does not indicate any lack of support for Mint. If you can establish that a "bug" is down to either the underlying Ubuntu or Debian software then it is perfectly acceptable to post in the Ubuntu or Debian forums. However, if you are unsure where the problem lies then it is equally fine to post in the Mint forums and help will likely be forthcoming.
    Last edited by Zill; June 2nd, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12