Thread: Everything is Gone....

Beans

Everything is Gone....

I was going to upgrade so I got out a 1TB hard drive from work. I started to move all of my files (66GB of photos) and It got through around 20. I was doing music, pictures, and documents. All of a sudden All of the icons I had picked for folders etc. started reverting to older ones.... I had no idea what was going on, my background disappeared. Everything Started to leave. I logged out and back in. It was like I was in the guest account, but I wasn't. It says my hard drive is empty except for 14 GB.... before this whole thing I had maybe 15 or so free of the whole hard drive.... I'm so lost... so so lost...

Additionally.... It was a partitioned drive, is a partitioned drive, running Windows 7 on the other have. I moved some old photos over there and THAT entire partition is still full.

All of my applications are still there as well...Bastion, GIMP, 0 A.D. etc. All There....
    Last edited by Mitchcm; May 30th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Everything is Gone....

My guess is that the task of copying some many files required maximum CPU and RAM and that is why it seems that you were lossing the desktop.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I can sort of understand that, but I logged off and back on and though my applications are there, they are basically straight out of the box. And when I logged back in why did it set everything to default.... This is... annoying and perplexing.

Beans

Before it happened I had used rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser to get it so that I could use Netflix Desktop again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are you sure you typed it correctly? An rm ~ that nuked your Home folder would give exactly the symptoms you describe.
    None but ourselves can free our minds