Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Beans

Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Hi, I had Gnome 3.8 installed with Xorg 14 on Ubuntu-GNOME (13.04) but it was missing features like pressure sensitivity and the lead dev told me that will only be available in Saucy Salamander as custom patches conflict with that feature. I'm going to try Saucy daily but I need something stable for everyday use also. I specifically need Shell with version 3.8 or higher as older releases had bugs that would make my system ultra-laggy. So is there any Ubuntu-like distro with great ease-of-use, just-as-good fontset, and easily installable multimedia support? Thanks.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Try Debian 7, comes with gnome-shell 3.4 but unlike the ubuntu implementation, it is very fast and smooth.

Beans

I did not want version 3.4. As I mentioned I specifically need 3.8 or higher due to bugs that are present in older releases of Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I did not want version 3.4. As I mentioned I specifically need 3.8 or higher due to bugs that are present in older releases of Gnome.
    Probably the beta release of Fedora 19, that comes with 3.8.2. Not so much distro polish as Ubuntu, as it is more of a vanilla Gnome experience. You can add the rpm -fusion repo for multimedia support, and the infinality patches for high quality font display.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu font can be installed on Fedora but you need the rendering tweaks that benerivo refers to to get it looking good.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

3.8.2 is the latest, and last, release before 3.10. You won't find newer that is also stable and Ubuntu-esque.

You could go to the 3.9 developmental release. Fedora Rawhide is probably the best bet for that, but it's sharp-edged testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arch has gnome-shell 3.8.2 in its standard repositories.
    Cheesemill

Beans

You can install G shell 3.8.2 in Debian sid using the experimental repo (then pin it afterwards and only check occasionally for missing pieces). But it is not very stable and not all the pieces are there. If you don't mind putting up with some inconsistencies and occasional dependency problems you can give it a try, but be careful about updates, if you check all the boxes like in Ubuntu something is almost guaranteed to break. But if you pin both experimental and unstable repos after installing gshell you are basically dropped down to testing, which is quite stable, probably better than Fedora 19 (beta)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 31st, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    ...if you pin both experimental and unstable repos after installing gshell you are basically dropped down to testing, which is quite stable, probably better than Fedora 19 (beta)
    Debian testing is quite stable, but using experimental packages is a rough ride for the user - no polish at all and expect a few problems, especially with installing/upgrading. Fedora 19 beta is v close to what will be released as '19 stable', and should be fine. I've nothing against Debian (I use it everyday and haven't got Fedora installed) but it's rubbish for getting the latest desktop experience such as Gnome 3.8. I would also give some thought to Arch, which always gives the latest packages, but would require some setup and if anyone is looking for out-of-the-box 'polish' then i wouldn't recommend it -- although it's only an hours work to get an Arch desktop at least as good as any that is available.
    Last edited by benerivo; May 31st, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benerivo View Post
    Fedora 19 beta is v close to what will be released as '19 stable', and should be fine. I've nothing against Debian (I use it everyday and haven't got Fedora installed) .
    I use F18 but with kde. One thing about Fedora is that some of the updates are pretty fresh (kernel 3.9.4 now from official updates comparing to raring still on 3.8.0.XX) , It may be possible to get gnome 3.8 in F 18 by enabling the rawhide repos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast