Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I run/play/install Thomas Was Alone, standalone version, from Humble Bundle?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do I run/play/install Thomas Was Alone, standalone version, from Humble Bundle?

Hi, community.

I bought and downloaded Thomas was alone (the standalone version) for linux. I've extracted the .rar file. There are 2 main parts.

Code:
     $ ls
    thomasWasAlone  thomasWasAlone_Data
    According to "Properties", thomaswasAlone is
    "Type: executiable (application/x-executable).

$ ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 main main 15479748 May 17 09:14 thomasWasAlone
    ./thomasWasAlone
    bash: ./thomasWasAlone: No such file or directory
    Why does it say "No such file"? It's right there.

How do I execute it?
    Last edited by hanzj; May 30th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Beans

Re: How do I run/play/install Thomas Was Alone, standalone version, from Humble Bundl

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Hi, community.

I bought and downloaded Thomas was alone (the standalone version) for linux. I've extracted the .rar file. There are 2 main parts.

Code:
     $ ls
    thomasWasAlone  thomasWasAlone_Data
    According to "Properties", thomaswasAlone is
    "Type: executiable (application/x-executable).

Why does it say "No such file"? It's right there.

How do I execute it?
    First, change the permissions on the executable: chmod +x thomasWasAlone
    Then, either:

1) If you are using the terminal,
    cd to the folder thomasLinuxStandalone
    to start the game, type ./thomasWasAlone

2) You can just double click on the executable in the file manager and it will start up.

(I have an annoying tooltip with white background about the controls always displaying - if you know how to disable this, let me know here. I could find no way.)
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 30th, 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: How do I run/play/install Thomas Was Alone, standalone version, from Humble Bundl

Hi, DennisN,
    I did what you instructed in "1." I've already pasted the outcome in my original post.

Beans

Had the exact same problem, solution worked fine for me.
    Make sure you 'cd' to the right location.

cd /home/NAME/Documents/thomasLinuxStandalone

...and then

./thomasWasAlone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmmmm.... Still doesn't work for me. I even let Terminal autocomplete the folders and the executable.

UPDATE: I guess I could just download the Windows version and play on Windows.

Beans

Are you on a 64-bit system? I had the same problem. Installing ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 fixed it.

The only other thing that caught me up (in game): to select an item from the menus, use the spacebar.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Hi, DennisN,
    I did what you instructed in "1." I've already pasted the outcome in my original post.
    The only thing that comes to mind is that you have not changed your working directory to the one containing the program files. Here are the command and output from terminal when starting the game. I place all downloaded games like these (no .deb available) in ~/games.

Code:
    dn@Kayleigh:~/games/thomasLinuxStandalone$ ./thomasWasAlone
    Set current directory to /home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone
    Found path: /home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone
    Mono path[0] = '/home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone_Data/Mono/etc'
    and now the game is running.

In the terminal, you can use the full path starting from / and this will also start it:

Code:
    dn@Kayleigh:~$ /home/dn/games/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone
    You can also start your file manager and double-click on the executable

On the other issue I raised on the tooltip:

(I have an annoying tooltip with white background about the controls always displaying - if you know how to disable this, let me know here. I could find no way.)
    I installed on another computer, and same result. Screenshot attached. Do you have this also? If you figure out how to disable, please post back. Google led me to no answer (yet).

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Tooltip, is as far as I can tell - part of the game itself. Goes away after a few levels. (Maybe a set period of time)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sizza147 View Post
    Tooltip, is as far as I can tell - part of the game itself. Goes away after a few levels. (Maybe a set period of time)
    Thanks for the reply. Just the first couple of screens would be enough. Since it's going to go away, I will give it another go.

Beans

Can't tell why yours is not going, but there is a reason for sure. It is just not yet apparent. Did you try the other suggested ways to start Thomas?

1) In the terminal, you can use the full path to the program starting from root (/) of the filesystem and this will start it:

example:

<user>@computer-name:~$ /home/<user>/<rest of path to thomasLinuxStandalone directory>/thomasLinuxStandalone/thomasWasAlone

2) You can also start your file manager, and double-click on the program executable.

--------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast