Thread: AMD Radeon 7970M Catalyst + Xrandr causes flickering screen

Beans

AMD Radeon 7970M Catalyst + Xrandr causes flickering screen

I've been wrestling with getting the Catalyst drivers to work with my Enduro-powered laptop (7970M + Intel), and I've been able to install the Catalyst drivers successfully. However, whenever I enable the discrete card and login, and I attach an external monitor and try to span the screen across both monitors, I get intense flickering on both monitors. I took a quick video to show the result, as I've found it kind of difficult to describe:

http://youtu.be/OHGIep3lvsg

This *only* happens when the desktop i spanning both monitors -- it works flawlessly when I'm just using 1 monitor, or have the monitor cloned. The Intel card can extend the desktop without any issue at all.

I followed these instructions to get the card working at all: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20511.../288355#288355

Does anyone know what might be causing this flickering?

Ubuntu 13.04 x64
    Catalyst 13.6 beta
    3.8.0-22-generic

Thanks!

Beans

Re: AMD Radeon 7970M Catalyst + Xrandr causes flickering screen

Strangely enough, when I use the following xrandr command it works without any flickering at all:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --left-of HDMI1 --output HDMI1 --auto --scale 1.0001x1.0001
    the tiny amount of scaling is not noticeable on my external monitor, and it *seems* to have removed any flickering of the screens. I don't really consider this to be a solution, however, only a sloppy work around.

Beans

It seems the issue is caused by Xrandr. It cannot be disabled, even though you tell Ubuntu to disable it in configs, nothing happens. So neither this command sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE" either other ways do not work. The same with a new beta driver But thank you for this temporary solution!
    Last edited by g3n1uss-yandex; August 9th, 2013 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

You save my day!

I was fighting with this for 2 weeks. And get used to work on single external monitor!

THX!