Thread: cp -a -l I don't understand

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

cp -a -l I don't understand

I am very confused by this command. Let me explain what am doing with this command to help you understand my confusion. I have a root folder, lets call it root. In this root folder I have four folders. Three folders are numbers 1,2,3. Right now the number folders are empty. The last folder is the data folder. Inside the data folder I have three files A,B,C. Now if I run

Code:
    cp -a -l data 1
    Then the files A, B, C are copied to folder 1. now if I delete file A from the data folder, and rerun the command on folder 2, it will copy just B and C

If I go back to folder 1 the A file is still there, and this is where I am confused. If I created a link by using -l, why is the file still accessible in the 1 folder? These are 1 GB files we will say. If I copy my data folder 20 times, and check the disk space, the size doesn't change. So I know it is creating links, I am just confused of how this works.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: cp -a -l I don't understand

It's creating hard links. They don't use disk space, contrary to a normal copy, but when you delete the original, the copy stays. That's because the data isn't really copied, but you make a second file name refering to the same block of data on your disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, that makes since.

Beans

if you just want symlinks, use
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/folderOrFile /path/to/link