Thread: What should I do with my forum post? Tutorial? Wiki? AskUbuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

What should I do with my forum post? Tutorial? Wiki? AskUbuntu?

Hi.

I have spent a great deal of time over the last week hacking out this answer to a question posted on this thread.

The OP Bullwinkle_Moose started a thread, elucidating and expanding on a question first asked by me on Ask Ubuntu back in February.

Using the information given by this user and another, I have constructed a quite lengthy and comprehensive guide, explaining a method of how to get an IR Remote Control working fairly harmoniously with the Unity Desktop and other programs and I feel that as I and others add to this, the guide could become a useful resource for the Ubuntu Community.

My question is this: What should I do with this forum post?
    The original poster has not been back to the site for over a month, so I'm not getting any feedback from that direction, but I'd like some guidance, if at all possible on whether this post should be moved or made into a Tutorial or a Wiki page or something.

I really need to copy the post to Ask Ubuntu in order to answer my original question, but some major reformatting is required and I don't have the time for that just at the moment. I intend to do this as soon as I get the chance, though and just thought that someone here would be able to suggest where else might be a better home, in order to prevent me having to maintain the post in several locations at once. I'm thinking along the lines of a Wiki, maybe;

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: What should I do with my forum post? Tutorial? Wiki? AskUbuntu?

First - you've obviously done a lot of work and the post is well presented. Many thanks.

Three options:

• Start a new thread in the recently reopened Tutorials forum with an updated version of your post. There's a rule against cross-posting, but in this instance I don't really see a problem with doing this. However, do check over the sticky guidelines for the Tutorials sub-forum. But because of the cross-posting rule, a better option might be....
    • I could move your post #6 in that thread to make it the OP of a new thread in the Tutorials forum. You could then post a replacement post with a link to the new thread, and edit your post with the latest updates. If you would like to do this, post back here anyway, but pm me as well so that we can liaise on the details.
    • Whether or not you have a thread in Tutorials, I strongly urge you to consider creating a wiki page in help.ubuntu.com. This would be very valuable. If you do, create a thread here as well. There is a script that can be used to convert a BBCode forum tutorial to the moinmoin syntax for the wiki, which helps. I don't have a link to hand at the moment, but I could look this out for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: What should I do with my forum post? Tutorial? Wiki? AskUbuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    First - you've obviously done a lot of work and the post is well presented. Many thanks.

Three options:

• Start a new thread in the recently reopened Tutorials forum with an updated version of your post. There's a rule against cross-posting, but in this instance I don't really see a problem with doing this. However, do check over the sticky guidelines for the Tutorials sub-forum. But because of the cross-posting rule, a better option might be....
    • I could move your post #6 in that thread to make it the OP of a new thread in the Tutorials forum. You could then post a replacement post with a link to the new thread, and edit your post with the latest updates. If you would like to do this, post back here anyway, but pm me as well so that we can liaise on the details.
    • Whether or not you have a thread in Tutorials, I strongly urge you to consider creating a wiki page in help.ubuntu.com. This would be very valuable. If you do, create a thread here as well. There is a script that can be used to convert a BBCode forum tutorial to the moinmoin syntax for the wiki, which helps. I don't have a link to hand at the moment, but I could look this out for you.
    Thanks for the speedy reply, coffeecat, and thanks for the thanks; I appreciate the appreciation.

Anyway, I think that the most straightforward option at the moment would be to move the post over to Tutorials and point to it from the original post (or it's replacement), just as you suggested.
    I'm not quite sure what to put in the replacement post at the moment, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. A short synopsis of the process and features, along with a link should do the trick, I think.
    The help.ubuntu.com wiki page sounds like a good idea, as it would relieve me of the burden of being the sole maintainer and would make it "community property", but I won't do that straight away, anyway. That script sounds like a good idea, though.

I've just about run out of time now, so I'll probably need to start in on this tomorrow, but I'll pm you now and link you back here.

Thanks.

Rich.

PS. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. For example should I call the new thread "Unity Remote Control" or would something more descriptive be in order? Also, would any reformatting be in order?
    Last edited by Rich.T.; May 29th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.