Thread: You currently canít buy a Dell desktop without an OS

Beans

You currently canít buy a Dell desktop without an OS

I was curious if a Dell desktop could be purchased without an OS. Below is my customer service chat which I actually found slightly amusing. In short, the answer is a flat "no".

2:21:09 PM Windie B Welcome to Dell US Home Sales Chat! My name is Windie and I will be your Dell.com Chat Expert. I can be reached at
    us_conmpp_chat@dell.com or via voicemail at 1-800-379-3355 Ext-2160085.How may I help you today?
    2:21:41 PM John Hi, I'm just wondering if it's possible to buy an XPS desktop without an operating system.
    2:21:46 PM Windie B Hi John
    2:22:26 PM Windie B It's a pleasure to have you in my chat line today. I'll be glad to be of assistance to you
    2:22:43 PM John I stated my question above.
    2:22:51 PM Windie B Great choice of desktop. Sure, let me check if that is possible.
    2:23:11 PM Windie B Kindly give me a couple of minutes.
    2:25:51 PM Windie B Still checking on it. One moment.
    2:28:01 PM Windie B Thanks for patiently waiting.
    2:28:56 PM Windie B Upon checking, we don't have any desktop without OS all of our computer packages includes windows OS.
    2:29:06 PM John Ok, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: You currently canít buy a Dell desktop without an OS

Hi JLeon85.

That is disappointing . I remember they used to offer an "almost" no OS option: FreeDOS.

At least they offer Ubuntu gaming desktops through their Alienware subsidiary: Alienware Ubuntu Desktops.

Regards.

Beans

It's probably not a big deal in terms of pricing. Microsoft makes sure that people don't get a discount by foregoing Windows.
    In terms of Linux compatibility, the only thing that would concern me is SecureBoot.

I'd rather build my own desktop than deal with Dell..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 build it your self, more fun that way and you get a better product for the same price
    slightly relevant
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/u...just-two-weeks
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; May 28th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Yeah, I was actually cost-comparing my plans to build my own when I decided to ask them. I had read on another forum that in Europe you can request it without an OS, and I just wanted to see.

Papibe- I was surprised that they didn’t try to sell me that instead. The rep even said “all of our computer packages include Windows”, which I thought was odd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was just checking online for a laptop computer without an OS because I am wanting to install a Linux OS on to it.

In the UK you can buy a Dell XPS for £899 plus tax so it doesn't look like you get a lot off for not having a Microsoft OS on*. (Granted I haven't looked at the cost with a MS OS on so there might be a difference).

As an aside - if anyone does have any suggestions for a laptop without an OS in the UK then I would be grateful for suggestions - without wanting to hijack someone elses post.

* It has Ubuntu preinstalled.

Beans

If I were looking for a laptop with no OS, I would look at some good used ones on Ebay. I got an IBM ThinkPad for $40, and added my own hard drive and memory. It works great for the web and word processing, and it all cost me less than $100. I would say for $400, you could put together something much better than the entry-level machines out there from the OEM's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The other half recently got a laptop from Novatech on the recommendation of someone here. That came without an OS.
    None but ourselves can free our minds