Thread: HOWTO: Storing and recalling all those pesky command line commands and code snippets

Beans

Lightbulb HOWTO: Storing and recalling all those pesky command line commands and code snippets

Hi,

I've put up a post on my blog with a perl script that I've found very useful in leaning commands and how to use the command line.

I found with using the command line I was prone to forgetting commands or snippets of code that I used irregularly. So I made this Perl script which helps store code snippets along with some meta information to be able to search and retrieve them later.

It displays the code snippet with syntax highlighting so that you can see what it does before running it, which I have found helps me learn the command or code.

You can install it by putting it into your path, I'd recommend somewhere owned by root such as /usr/locla/bin/ and making it executable with:

Code:
    chmod +x /usr/local/bin/cl
    The dependencies can be installed with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install perl libxml-twig-perl libsyntax-highlight-engine-kate-perl
    Maybe it will be of some help to someone.
    Last edited by mikeym; May 28th, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: best say how to install it :)