Thread: Jumping through hoops to resave a jpeg in gimp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Jumping through hoops to resave a jpeg in gimp

Hello all,
    tell me I'm missing something, because this is very annoying. I want to do something very simple: open a jpeg in gimp (2.8.4), edit it and close it, saving it in the process.

So when I close there's a dialog that says I need to [save as]. OK. Once there, I can only save as xcf. If I change the extension to jpg, it tells me I need to use [Export]. OK, so I cancel and go to [File][Export].

There I need to first manually change the extension to jpg, click Export, then I receive a true but confusing message that the file already exist. Of course it does, it's the one I've opened...
    And after confirming I still need to close the file, only to be greeted by "you haven't saved, are you sure"...

Excuse me, but WTF ?!? Instead of two clicks (close and yes), I now have to navigate menus and type for two minutes ?!? I defy anybody to edit a bunch of files without mistakes.

Yes, I know all about the fact that saving jpegs multiple times degrades the quality due to lossy compression.
    And I know that if I want to preserve layers and some other advanced image properties I cannot use jpeg. But if I opened a jpeg, I should be able to SAVE IT BACK !

Now, hopefully there's an option somewhere to fix that...?
    Last edited by dargaud; May 29th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Jumping through hoops to resave a jpeg in gimp

I agree that it is annoying for everyday usage, when quality is not highest priority. I don't know if there is a work-around, except to install an older version of the gimp.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In the file menu, you should have an "Overwrite" option that should simplify the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ha! Didn't notice that, thanks. Although you still get a "did not save" warning when you want to close after doing the overwrite. Dumb.