Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own Distro

Beans

Question Building Your Own Distro

Hi everyone,

In my free time I love to learn more about what Linux can do. Recently I learned about Arch Linux distro, which essentially lets you build and customize your very own distro. AWESOME!

I do have a couple questions before I even come close to going down that path though --

1, Would I be able to configure a untiy-like desktop environment from Arch? I'm so familiar with most thing Ubuntu that I would want tp stay close to it, plus I like the neat features it has
    I was thinking maybe something with a lightweight desktop and a hidden cairo dock if all else fails, which would mimic the unity "hiding" launcher.

2. Could i keep a lot of the same packages and setups? I like being able to hit the forums with any problems and I've read that youre mostly on your own with Arch.

3. Can I configure Arch endlessly? i.e. build my own ubuntu?

4. The million dollar question here is, should i even bother with Arch? I am not an expert, I am familiar with Linux and I'd say I'm intermediate at best.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasnt sure where to put this thread.

Thanks everyone!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Building Your Own Distro

Ubuntu is open source and that includes Unity. There is nothing to stop anybody from using the Ubuntu code. You are asking questions about Arch on a Ubuntu forum. Whether you get answers depends upon there being people visiting this forum who know more about Arch than you do.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could also have a look at Linux from Scratch. (Quote) "Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code."
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Ubuntu is open source and that includes Unity. There is nothing to stop anybody from using the Ubuntu code. You are asking questions about Arch on a Ubuntu forum. Whether you get answers depends upon there being people visiting this forum who know more about Arch than you do.

Regards.
    I've been an ubuntu user so I dont know where else to go and am hoping for exactly that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    You could also have a look at Linux from Scratch. (Quote) "Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code."
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    this sounds like a much better place to start! thank you! Would I be able to stay close to ubuntu which is what I'm familiar with?
    I just want to gear the system more towards what I use it for, minus all the extra crap I never use
    Last edited by Myst1234; May 28th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.
    Sorry wasnt sure where to put it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So what you really want is a highly personal, arch-like ubuntu.

If I was to want to go that route, I would run a strictly bleeding-edge ppa system.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If you want Unity you should use Ubuntu. Unity has not been designed with portability in mind and although there are some experimental ports for Fedora, OpenSuse and Arch, one shouldn't expect them to work flawlessly.

However, you can achieve something similar to Unity's dash -not equal- using KDE + Homerun, this will work in any Linux distribution, and if all you want is a dock, well, there are tons of options.

In my opinion Arch is the way to go if you want the very latest versions of the programs, that is the strongest point of Arch.

Arch is indeed very configurable, but that is also true for all general Linux distributions, including Ubuntu (At least until it migrates to Mir, then things might change). If you want to build a system to suit your needs Arch is not the only choice, although their Wiki certainly helps when you take this route, I find it easier to follow the instructions in the Arch Wiki than the Debian documentation, for example.

It's true that you are a bit "on your own" with Arch, or better said, you are expected to investigate about your problem and try to fix it on your own before you ask for help, and when you do you are expected to give valuable information. This is not exclusive from Arch, you'll get the same recommendation in most other Linux forums.

Will you have the same packages in Arch? Not all of them, some things are exclusive to Ubuntu, in Arch you'll get no purchase recommendations from Amazon when you search your private documents, and there's no Ubuntu software center, but you can install easily Steam and you graphic cards closed source driver... you should have a look at the packages available in Arch and AUR to see if everything you expect is there.

Should you bother with Arch? Arch it's not for newbies, but an intermediate user willing to learn more about Linux and take control of the computer should give it a try at least.

I'd recommend to start with a Virtual Machine, like VirtualBox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    So what you really want is a highly personal, arch-like ubuntu.

If I was to want to go that route, I would run a strictly bleeding-edge ppa system.
    Meaning repositories that update regardless of ubuntu's update?

I am familiar with ubuntu which I think is why I like it. I also like a few of the GUI features, like the launch panel that can be hidden, But I feel like there is too much in this system i do not, and will never, use.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast