Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux applications not good enough

Beans

Linux applications not good enough

I cry for Linux. Superb system. Ubuntu is a windows killer. Well sort of. After over 20 years Linux has failed miserably as a workstation/desktop. Not because it is a bad system but because software is poor. Simple tasks which can be covered by oodles of free software in -dare I say it - the Seattle monster - either do not exist or are comparativley kindergarten to the Win PhD. If it is desired to take on Windows and win then app authors are going to have to be as good, and give up the antiquated insistence on producing CLI only apps, of which there are too many. We are now one seventh of the way into the 21st Century and still being offered desktop apps without a GUI as standard !!!!!!!!!

Fax = completely sick joke. Hylafax is far too complicated and is rubbish to use - what desktop user needs complicated client-server setups
    PDF editing - never mind Adobe, where are the equivalents to Filecenter, Paperport etc
    CAD pitched at architecture - non-existent though the "normal" CAD is as good as any
    Electronic CAD - sort of useable but not in the business world
    CCTV systems - don't even mention Zoneminder. Never got it to work and other nix apps simply fail on cameras that Win eats for breakfast

WINE has been offered as an alternative but it frequently flops. Personally I save the trouble and for a few dollars use another drive with Windows on it. In fact why bother with virtual machines. Given the right hardware for another few dollars for a drive one can make a Hackintosh and have another superb nix system with even an even worse software library.

I have to keep Linux as a rescue system for when Windows turns into an F104 Starfighter - for those of you old enough to remember the most crashed plane in history outside of combat. Linux/OSX is good for surfing, reasonably secure, but the average user needs Windows to do anthing useful. A great pity but that is the situation. . Someone elsewhere questioned my sanity for wanting to use fax when email is available. Amazingly, but many organisations publish fax numbers but not departmental emails. I suppose I must also be stupid to be actually posting anything these days but I do find it difficult to email solid objects.

Been trying to escape Windows for years, but the alternatives just ain't up to the mark yet.
    Last edited by lincrier; May 27th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux applications not good enough

*deep breath*

0 posts...

Quote Originally Posted by lincrier View Post
    If it is desired to take on Windows and win then app authors are going to have to be as good, and give up the antiquated insistence on producing CLI only apps, of which there are too many.
    GUI apps run commands in background anyway...

We are now one seventh of the way into the 21st Century and still being offered desktop apps without a GUI as standard !!!!!!!!!
    Fax = completely sick joke. Hylafax is far too complicated and is rubbish to use - what desktop user needs complicated client-server setups
    Let's put these two together... it's more fun that way... yes some companies still take in Faxes. perhaps no one made an effort since we are in 21st century and those that send faxes probably also have a fax mashcine anyway....

not a help section but have a look: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...-openofficeorg

hp has a tollbox for fax called HPLIP Toolbox

PDF editing - never mind Adobe, where are the equivalents to Filecenter, Paperport etc
    Libre office Draw can edit PDF
    CAD pitched at architecture - non-existent though the "normal" CAD is as good as any
    Electronic CAD - sort of useable but not in the business world
    There are some cads that have linux port and others that don't as you've found out.
    CCTV systems - don't even mention Zoneminder. Never got it to work and other nix apps simply fail on cameras that Win eats for breakfast
    There are some good CCTV systems/distributions. camera drivers are made by manufacturers. they make drivers for windows have you asked them why they do not make drivers for linux?

WINE has been offered as an alternative but it frequently flops. Personally I save the trouble and for a few dollars use another drive with Windows on it. In fact why bother with virtual machines.
    wine is not an emulator.

it also works with only a few windows programmes. if you ask me it is amazing it works with so many. i haven't seen anything similar in other systems. though it would probably be "easier" to make since the code is open.

Been trying to escape Windows for years, but the alternatives just ain't up to the mark yet.
    depends what you need. the programmers that did the widnows "apps" closed their source code. they also decided not to do a linux port. so what exactly do you expect from others now? to write their own applicaiton that would be equivalent to the "needed" widnows "app"? sometimes they do it. sometimes they make a better app. but sometimes they don't. as you've found out.

i started using opensource apps a long time ago on windows so using linux for my work is not an issue. i've found out i could easilly use it at work as well. not just at home. the proprietary programmes we use at work have a linux port. i would miss some windows games if i totally moved to linux. but to say linux is not ready for desktop (desktop as in what most people need) is not true in my opinion.

i wonder what category smartphones and tables go to since there Linux rules for some reason...
    Last edited by mastablasta; May 27th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

*deep breath*
    Not easy though is it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux/OSX is good for surfing, reasonably secure, but the average user needs Windows to do anthing useful.
    Funny, but I wouldn't trust Windows anywhere a security-essential environment was crucial.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Linux/OSX is good for surfing, reasonably secure, but the average user needs Windows to do anthing useful.
    Good only for surfing? The large hadron collider and most super computers run on Linux.

I am not sure what "average user" would need autoCAD ($700+?) or CCTV systems. Also I haven't come across anyone who still sends and receives fax for quite a long time. There are free applications like xjournal and libreOffice that can edit PDF files, or you can pay for something like PDFstudio which has a native Linux version.

BTW, there are good CAD programs in Linux but problem is that they can't access proprietary file formats which somehow become "industrial standard", now you should ask them why they don't open up their formats if they are standard and why autoCad doesn't support Linux instead of complaining about open source. Also, if you are so critical about existing open source programs (many are excellent) you can always write your own, or hire someone to do that for you.

It is odd that you have 0 bean, so your whole purpose of signing up is to make this post??!!
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 28th, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Beans

So just because only a few things dont work for you it makes linux bad?
    There are plenty of linux applications in linux that are on par or better then their windows counterparts, just because it doesnt meet your admittedly niche market doesnt mean it lacks something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, I bet the average Windows user is always editing PDFs and CADing his way out of life.

The cli is the past , the present and the future. People who (very mistakenly) think command line tools are antiquated should keep off Linux.
    Last edited by vexorian; May 28th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux simply doesn't have the advantage of the well-established Windows ecosystem of third-party programs that started since the shareware days, while the slip-ups concerning the latest Windows 8 flagship might allow others to close some of that distance, but more has to come from the platform itself. Off-hand I can already mention two useful programs that have no known equivalents on Linux: WinSCP, Tunnelier, or maybe it's just the loath for gui programs on the part of Linux developers? But unlikely since many are quite obsessed with gimmickry and easily won over by Unehty...

Beans

Fax
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ictf...urce=directory

Pdf editing
    Gimp Inkscape Libredraw http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/PD...ors_for_Ubuntu

Cad
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...JLHu0gWB4IHgBQ

For buildings ... Sweet home 3d http://youtu.be/UPXCTDYp8w0

CCTV systems ....
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/viewmax/

( Sourceforge is a good place for research as new things are being developed all the time ....... what else was there that cannot be done ? ..... )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 29th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    Off-hand I can already mention two useful programs that have no known equivalents on Linux: WinSCP, Tunnelier,
    There are plenty of applications available you can use to transfer files using scp. In fact you don't even need to install an additional application as the default Ubuntu file manager has no problems doing this.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; May 29th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast