Thread: Broadcom BCM4313 Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Broadcom BCM4313 Ubuntu 13.04

Okay, so after installing Ubuntu 13.04 I realized my internet connection was terrible unless I was really close to the router. So I installed the proprietary drivers from the "Additional Drivers" section and everything was working great. My internet was exceptionally fast and everything was working perfect. The problem I am having is my computer is using ALL the bandwidth of my router; on other computers in my home I can't access the internet at all when my computer is turned on. As soon as I turn the wireless off of my computer, internet on the other computers resume to the norm. How can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Broadcom BCM4313 Ubuntu 13.04

The problem I am having is my computer is using ALL the bandwidth of my router;
    The wireless driver has nothing to do with this.
    Bandwidth use is to do with what you are running ie; bittorrent

If you are sure nothing is supposed to be running. Open the System Monitor and look at the Network activity
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Nothing seems out of the norm with my network activity. This problem only happens after I have the drivers installed. Even on idle, when nothing is running, I can't connect to the internet on other computers.

What is your wireless on your computers? Are they A? B? G? N? If your computer is G, and the others are N, then the other computers would run a G speed when you have your computer's wireless on.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    What is your wireless on your computers? Are they A? B? G? N? If your computer is G, and the others are N, then the other computers would run a G speed when you have your computer's wireless on.
    True, good point
    But the OP said:
    on other computers in my home I can't access the internet at all
    I wonder if the OP has tried b43 driver?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro

And of course, are the other computers Wireless or Wired?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    And of course, are the other computers Wireless or Wired?
    I can not say I have the solution, but I have exactly the same problem, When I use the additional driver for wireless it uses all the network bandwith with very little to the other computers in the network.
    Mythbuntu 10.04 AMD64 2xPVR500
    Ubuntu 10.04 Acer 2310
    Ubuntu 10.10 CQ60
    Ubuntu 12.04 AspireOne d255

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have exactely the same issue with a HP Pavilion DV7. Now I'm using my mobile as a router to let my wife surf on the wi-fi...

Edit : of course this does not happen in Windows (I'm in dual boot). So that doesn't seem to be related to the wifi access point.
    Last edited by trudi; July 10th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I found an alternative solution on my NETGEAR WNR1000v3 router by enabling the guest wifi, with WPA2-PSK password and with "Wireless Isolation" feature enabled (the wireless client under this SSID can only access internet and it can’t access other wireless clients even under the same SSID, Ethernet clients or this device. Other clients can’t access the wireless client, either.).

Now my wife and our mobile phones can connect to the normal wifi login without being disturbed by my Ubuntu 13.04 laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by trudi View Post
    I found an alternative solution on my NETGEAR WNR1000v3 router by enabling the guest wifi, with WPA2-PSK password and with "Wireless Isolation" feature enabled (the wireless client under this SSID can only access internet and it can’t access other wireless clients even under the same SSID, Ethernet clients or this device. Other clients can’t access the wireless client, either.).

Now my wife and our mobile phones can connect to the normal wifi login without being disturbed by my Ubuntu 13.04 laptop.
    I believe the Broadcom STA driver is incorrect for this device and I believe it does swamp the router. I have seen it many times. If you'd care to experiment, trudi, please open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Reboot and give us your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.