Thread: Install Samba on Xubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Install Samba on Xubuntu 13.04

Hi all

Just looking for the correct command to install Samba (and the GUI) on a brand new install of Xubuntu 13.04.

I've found conflicting commands, the first of which sudo apt-get install samba4 took ages to run and had loads of things about creating DNS partitions, which seemed a bit over the top! Seemed like it was turning my entire machine into a server!

Then I tried sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba cifs-utils which seemed to work and gave me a GUI to create some shares, which I could access from another computer and my phone.

However, within the GUI there was a weird error which related I think to the weird things from that earlier samba4 command.

And so, I had a bit of a panic and did sudo apt-get remove --purge samba, followed by sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba cifs-utils again but then the GUI wouldn't start at all.

So I did another sudo apt-get remove --purge samba and have left it at that since.

So all I need are the simple lines to install samba with the GUI to share my music & video folders.

Many thanks as ever!

Dave
    Last edited by motorcity909; May 27th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
    AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, NVidia GT430, Asus M5A78L-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Western Digital Green 1TB SATA2 hard-drive

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Install Samba on Xubuntu 13.04

Not sure if this is still up to date, but appears to do the trick:

http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-config...ace-in-ubuntu/

(Installing samba4 is an option, just samba will do in most situations!). You may need to un-install samba4 ?)
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?