Thread: How to repartition and/or reinstall Ubuntu

Beans

How to repartition and/or reinstall Ubuntu

Hi,
    I want to creat a dual boot system on my desktop computer with Dell XPS. The hard drive is 1.5TB. I have installed OPENSUSE successfully. When I install Ubuntu, I incorrectly select "install along side i586 OPENSUSE". In this mode, I cannot control the hard disk partion. The total 163 GB was given to all Ubuntu. I would like to have the Ubuntu having separate partitioin for the root folder, home folder, usr local folder. Could you tell me the procedures to do this? Especially what to do with GRUB2, which is now correct to select OPENSUSE and Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to repartition and/or reinstall Ubuntu

You need to choose manual installation (I think it's called "Something else"). See #4 here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, choose 'Something Else' at the partitioning section of the install.

Beans

Thanks. I now know that I have to use manual install. My question is I concern the reinstall Ubuntu may ruin the present OPENSUSE in the dual boot GRUB2. Are there something I should be care about? I can simply reinstall Ubuntu by delete the present Ubuntu partition and install manually?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ruwan2 View Post
    I can simply reinstall Ubuntu by delete the present Ubuntu partition and install manually?
    Yes. As for not deleting the OpeSuse install, it will be clearly visible when you get to the partitioning section. Those partitions will be shown as used and have a mount point name and other details. Just don't touch them; make sure they are set to 'Don't use' and not ticked to format. Then all good.