Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    245

    Lightbulb Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

    I'm a huge Gimp fan, and have been using it professionally for several years. I'd like to get my hands on a beta of the upcoming 2.10, but after several searches I haven't been able to find any deb, ppa, or working instructions how to compile it on 13.04.

    Surprisingly, I found a earlier build for Windows and Mac. I always thought Gimp was made for Linux and then ported to Windows/Mac.

    If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks
    VivaLaRoach
    _______________________

    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,557
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

    http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp...ian-wheezy-sid

    May or may not work on Ubuntu. Try at your own risk (then again, you want to use GIMP 2.9 )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    245

    Re: Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

    Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp...ian-wheezy-sid

    May or may not work on Ubuntu. Try at your own risk (then again, you want to use GIMP 2.9 )
    Thanks for the tip.

    Although it sounds like a possibility, I'm afraid of screwing up my current Gimp which I need for work on occasion. According to the the above website, 2.10 could be released by the end of the year - hooray!

    Maybe, I'll give it a go, maybe I'd better wait for a beta ppa or deb?

    But thanks.
    VivaLaRoach
    _______________________

    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

    Quote Originally Posted by william_nbg View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

    Although it sounds like a possibility, I'm afraid of screwing up my current Gimp which I need for work on occasion. According to the the above website, 2.10 could be released by the end of the year - hooray!

    Maybe, I'll give it a go, maybe I'd better wait for a beta ppa or deb?

    But thanks.
    I know this guide was originally written quite some time ago, but it was updated September 2012. I just used it on 13.04 (raring) and it worked fine. And it will not wipe out gimp stable from the repository, so don't worry about that. So far 2.9 is working fine for me. Though do not be surprised if you encounter bugs, these are straight from their git,so things can change ALL the time. It isn't like a git build snapshot that was taken for the sole purpose of making semi-stable and tested, so people could have a usuable uptodate(ish) build of gimp 2.9. I'm not saying 2.9 won't work fine for you, it's just that there is no testing done to ensure everything works.

    EDIT: BTW, it's actually good for people like me and you to try out 2.9 (gimp dev) and report bugs as we come across them in our normal use of the application. This way the developers will have an easier time tracking and fixing bugs. So if you do find a bug, please be sure to report it on gimps bug tracker.

    Here is the howto on reporting bugs: http://www.gimp.org/bugs/howtos/bugzilla.html
    Last edited by n0yd; May 28th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    245

    Thumbs up Re: Gimp 2.9 or 2.10 beta

    Quote Originally Posted by n0yd View Post
    I know this guide was originally written quite some time ago, but it was updated September 2012. I just used it on 13.04 (raring) and it worked fine. And it will not wipe out gimp stable from the repository, so don't worry about that. So far 2.9 is working fine for me. Though do not be surprised if you encounter bugs, these are straight from their git,so things can change ALL the time. It isn't like a git build snapshot that was taken for the sole purpose of making semi-stable and tested, so people could have a usuable uptodate(ish) build of gimp 2.9. I'm not saying 2.9 won't work fine for you, it's just that there is no testing done to ensure everything works.

    EDIT: BTW, it's actually good for people like me and you to try out 2.9 (gimp dev) and report bugs as we come across them in our normal use of the application. This way the developers will have an easier time tracking and fixing bugs. So if you do find a bug, please be sure to report it on gimps bug tracker.

    Here is the howto on reporting bugs: http://www.gimp.org/bugs/howtos/bugzilla.html

    Thanks a lot.

    I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

    And, I'll try and figure out how to report bugs.
    VivaLaRoach
    _______________________

    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •