Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how could i stop DDoS attack

Beans

how could i stop DDoS attack

i am running Ubuntu 12.04. i am new to this OS. i face alot of DDoS attacks on my static IP. is there anyway i could block the attack or atleast stop it form utilizing the entire bandwidth?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how could i stop DDoS attack

Not from within the operating system. There are hosting providers that can deflect attacks to an extent, if you are really having a DDoS problem you could try them.

What symptoms are you experiencing? Maybe this is not really a DDoS but something harmless?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

only your ISP can lessen the effects of a DDoS/DRDoS attack. you can report the IPs attacking you to their ISPs if they are listed in thr whois info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fowzan View Post
    i am running Ubuntu 12.04. i am new to this OS. i face alot of DDoS attacks on my static IP. is there anyway i could block the attack or atleast stop it form utilizing the entire bandwidth?
    Here's the router I'm using, in my home: http://www.netgear.com/business/prod...s/fvs318g.aspx

It provides lots of network hardening features, including hardware denial-of-service protection.

Works pretty good (despite what some amateur "reviewers" say)
    Last edited by VinDSL; May 26th, 2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added screenie
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTye View Post
    only your ISP can lessen the effects of a DDoS/DRDoS attack. you can report the IPs attacking you to their ISPs if they are listed in thr whois info
    tracking IPs is impractical. one DDoS attack would send atleast 100+ IPs if not 1000+.
    I have seen DDoS Deflate kind of stuff which would help a bit. can someone help me set it up.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

You can't block DDoS but you can tune iptables and kernel parameters to add more resilience. Look here for some ideas:
    http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/iptables
    https://docs.indymedia.org/Sysadmin/SecurityTuning

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    You can't block DDoS but you can tune iptables and kernel parameters to add more resilience. Look here for some ideas:
    http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/iptables
    https://docs.indymedia.org/Sysadmin/SecurityTuning
    i am a total newb at ubuntu. it would tak me ages to learn how this stuff works. could you help me set this up? i would pay if you could

Beans

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to use an external firewall like Sonicwall?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte18 View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense for you to use an external firewall like Sonicwall?
    i have considered external firewalls, but they are way too expensive. and setting up those would require a professional which is out of my reach.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fowzan View Post
    i have considered external firewalls, but they are way too expensive. and setting up those would require a professional which is out of my reach.
    It seems like you're an ordinary home user, yet you complain of being DDoS'ed. It sounds very unusual for an ordinary person to be DDoS'ed - it's a lot of effort and expense to DDoS somebody, so an attacker normally would go after a major website instead of a single person.

What exactly is happening to your computer, that makes you think you are being DDoS'ed?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast