Ubuntu

Re: To change or not to

press some key while bios is loading.
    Which key is written on bootup logo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The specific steps for creating the restore discs depends on the manufacturer. More than likely, it requires a utility from within Windows.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Thanks to all for you informative replies. I have not used windows for so long that I forgot much of it. How would I go about making installation discs from the partition on the HD?
    Toshiba should have a shortcut on the Windows desktop called Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To OP, whose machine is it going to be?
    Did your son give it you for your own reckless amusement, or is he expecting something to done, by you, to fix the problems?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think you should first discuss with your son what operating system he would like to use and if he plays games and uses software that will not run on Ubuntu and must use windows. Do not however pay the people at Toshiba any money for a service that they should offer for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

me personally I would dual boot with a fresh install of both OSes if the son is a student and may need windows...If windows is not needed get rid of windows and just put ubuntu on it. I am notorious for putting ubuntu or chromium os on someones computer when they come to me more than once to clean the viruses off of their computer or if windows runs too slow on their machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    me personally I would dual boot with a fresh install of both OSes if the son is a student and may need windows...If windows is not needed get rid of windows and just put ubuntu on it. I am notorious for putting ubuntu or chromium os on someones computer when they come to me more than once to clean the viruses off of their computer or if windows runs too slow on their machines.
    Do you get in trouble for that? You must pretty sly to pull that off.

Beans
    Distro

I tell them I am going to do it and I show them how to use (well the basics anyway) said operating system and I tell them that hey this will keep your computer from getting viruses and such and they usually end up liking it. especially the ones I put chromium os on their computers because all they do is play on the internet anyway. Its not like I do it on the sly. Besides I am always doing so for free and people trust my judgement when it comes to PC stuff since I am the one fixing their stuff all the time.

In all realness Winodws is over kill for a great deal of computer users anyway. If all they are going to do is surf the web then why do they need an operating system that they are going to mess up not knowing what they are doing. If I install Ubuntu on a computer for some one I don't tell them about deb files or other things like that I just show them the app center and it usually has them covered. If someone knows how to use windows then they will not have to come to me to fix it because they would have fixed it their selves with anti-virus software or doing a fresh install their selves.

TO add: these are people like my grand ma that has no clue how to use windows she just clicks accept for everything so I put chromium OS on her little netbook and she loves it and it does not get messed up because there is noting to download for it just some web apps in the chrome store.
    Last edited by DJWYMAN; May 26th, 2013 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

Install Xubuntu or Kubuntu and Virtualbox, with a Windows VM. Then make a tar ball of the Windows VM. When the VM gets full of cruft, untar.

BTW, years ago, I started to tell people: I don't do Windows. Once in a blue moon someone asks: Oh, you use a Mac?
    Last edited by HermanAB; May 26th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lethall1 View Post
    Strange question.
    Not at all, it's a perfectly sensible question. Remember the first time you replaced an entire OS on a computer? It seems like a big scary leap before you try it the first time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast