Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no wireless networks detected since latest kernel upgrades

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: no wireless networks detected since latest kernel upgrades

last option:
    Try to boot into a different kernel via grub and see if it works.
    but 1st
    update and upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Is anything packaged being held back ? like a kernel ?
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

I updated to the latest kernel just this morning. The previous kernel wouldn't work with wireless either. If I go back two kernels ( I think it's 3.2.0-41) wireless works.
    Nothing being held back. Everything is up to date.

I guess I'm stuck using older kernels for now ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am at a loss file a bug or wait for a different person to come along. Or look at dmesg logs to see what the heck the kernel is thinking you could post
    Code:
    dmesg |grep  wl
    or
    Code:
    dmesg | grep network
    Good Luck
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

ok thanks anyway

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Westerberg View Post
    ok thanks anyway
    I edited the post above ^^

Beans

Hmm...

Running 3.2.0-22 myself, I just had a recent issue with 3.8 wireless drivers, and it appeared that I (in my haste) installed 3.2.0-44

I don't know what's wrong with that update, but it is all screwed up here as well. I just uninstalled it as it was spitting out a bunch of errors...

If it would help I can install it again and see if I can document the bugs?

My chipset is the BCM4322, so this is probably a kernel issue or a general broadcom driver compat. problem.

EDIT:

Occured to me this might be usefull; when I was compiling my drivers for the 4322, I had to go in and edit some variable flags, modpost was originally complaining about mismatched __init sections. I got it to shut up by removing the __init section tag (from the wl_pci_probe function), but I suspect this was not a proper fix.

It was only a warning, so I got it to compile and install both times, but the first time iwconfig/ifconfig wouldn't even pick up the wireless device, the second time they were able to pick it up, but NetworkManager refused to scan any networks.

I don't fully understand the purpose/use of __init flags, but from what I could understand it has to do with the kernel throwing away some code after the intial module load or somesuch? This sounds like a serious problem with the driver/kernel, but I don't know enough to know which.

Could it be related to the bcmwl source? There seem to be so many different modules responsible for wireless, these drivers are slightly confusing.
    Last edited by LordDelta; May 26th, 2013 at 01:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12