Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backdoor in Skype

Beans

Re: Backdoor in Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Upgrade to Jitsi when you can. It can run along side Skype during any transition period you might wish to take.
    I use Skype only for making cheap phone calls to regular phones. Can Jitsi do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This whole backdoor thing really has me confused. Does this mean that newer versions of Skype support snooping, making older stable releases safe from this nonsense, or is this all server side and won't matter what version of the client you're using?

Also, giving Jitsi a try now, I'd like more options than just Pidgin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dialout to POTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
    I use Skype only for making cheap phone calls to regular phones. Can Jitsi do that?
    Jitsi and Ekiga can do that but it depends on your SIP provider. The providers and prices vary. Much of it depends on which country you're calling to and making the payments in. It's not something I do, but I checked that it can be done.

Beans

Re: Skype is dead...

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Since I'm not paranoid, I'm not that fussed if there are backdoors in Skype. I'm happy to keep using it and have nothing to hide. A bit of accountability is sometimes a good thing.
    On the contrary, I have everything to hide. My conversations are my business and nobody else's. This book explains the argument in more depth, Nothing to Hide.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    alternatives are already out and look promising.

here is one. vline
    Quoting myself, but here is another promising WebRTC startup.

Bistri

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    On the contrary, I have everything to hide. My conversations are my business and nobody else's. This book explains the argument in more depth, Nothing to Hide.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm definitively going to read this book!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Anyone know how to answer a call that is using google voice with jitsi, i can get as far as i can with pidgen
    i was able to make a call using my google account to call my self but i have a loop back thing happen with my landline phone
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

well in case of extreme requirement, I guess we can also use Google-Hangout as skype alternative.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I decided to try a fun project and setup a jabber/xmpp server on my spare Ubuntu laptop at home for my friends i.e. our own personal IM network. I went with openfire - just install, configure through the web admin panel and off you go.

I tried Jitsi as the client, it worked but its a little rough around the edges and buggy, sometimes buttons and UI elements fail to load, other times when testing video calls I could not see the person I was talking to.

I also had a look at spark, IM'ing is fine, but havent gotten voice/video calls to work yet.

Beans

I really don't want to loose my Skype though ... does this mean that my conversations and calls ( voice and video ) can be monitored?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast