Thread: downloaded adobe flash. how do I install

Beans

downloaded adobe flash. how do I install

Hi All, I am running ubuntu 12.04 32 bit, on an HP compaq desktop 64bit PC, dual core 2.6, ram 2 GB Hdd 320gb I am currectly running from the CD. cant play videos and having problems with some websites.
    Adobe FP popped up asking me to download and had obviously scanned the system to offer the correct flash player for my system. Downloaded it but dont know how to actually install it. Step by step please. I assume there must be a ubuntu installer somwhere but as this is the first thing I have downloaded I am concerned about getting ti right.

Also Adobe gave several FP versions to choose from. I did not know how to make the choice or which to choose. (What info on the system would have permitted me to make the correct choice????)
    I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 11Linux.i386tar.gz. Is this correct please.

Finally over the past months when running windows 7 , I was constantly being asked to install AFP. Almost every website, aol email, ebay, Just constantly 7/8 times per day.
    can anyone tell me why this is. Up until about a year ago AFP was downloaded onto my system and apart from an occasional update that was it. Stopping in the middle of what you are doing to take 3/4 minutes to constantly download and install AFP is very annoying. Have I missed something?? Is everone having to do this?? Why cant websites install their own AFP??
    Is there some cover all AFP that i should have.?? Is there anything I can do to stop it?? Thanks
    Last edited by arranskye; May 25th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: downloaded adobe flash. how do I install

Easy way to install the flash plugin: Open the software centre, search for flashplugin-installer and install it. Alternatively, you can search for ubuntu-restricted-extras. This will install a whole bunch of popular software with license difficulties. There's no need for manual downloads and installs. Keep in mind that, as this is a live dvd, the flash player will be lost as soon as you reboot. You'll have to do a full install or use a live usb with persistence to be able to make permanent changes.

I don't know about your flash problem in win7. I never used it.

Beans

Thanks. Looks like i will be installing Ubuntu onto the HD tomorrow. will take your advice and install restricted extras. I was trying to get a little more competent and gain a bit of experience using the CD as I wanted to show a lot of people how good Linux is, and my grandkids in particular so thanks again for your help, info & advice cheers
    Last edited by arranskye; May 25th, 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

By the way...even while you are running that live dvd, you can install ubuntu resricted extras from the software center right now (of course, this will only last for the live session, you will need to do that again when you actually install tomorrow) and in 5 minutes you'd be able to have the flash running on your websites, right now...

Beans

Thanks Craig. did that. worked fine and when not using my PC I just switch off the screen and leave the disc in the tray. that way I dont lose any data or settings. pc goes to sleep, well its probably just dosing, and I can manage like this till I install on new SSD. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You're very welcome....glad to be of help
    I do that all the time when i am "playing with" live iso sessions of linux distros...and when i decided to leave them on overnight, i just put the screensaver on to blacken the screen and keep the computer on so i don't lose the changes i made on it...