Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVDs and CSS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: DVDs and CSS

We are missing something. Ubuntu policy. Ubuntu is a Free and Open Source Linux distribution that allows users to decide to install codecs that might be illegal in some jurisdictions and also non-free proprietary software. We tick to install third party software during installation or install it afterward. It is our choice just as it is the choice or decision of Canonical not to include this stuff as default software.

Fundamentally, the desire of the Ubuntu owners and developers is to have Ubuntu as Free and Open Source as possible. That is not practically possible, when you also want a distribution that ordinary people can use without needing a university degree in Linux. But it is the aim.

So, it is easy to install proprietary video drivers. It also means that certain code will never be part of the default installation or be put in the repositories. And its no good moaning about it.

Now, for something completely different.

Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).
    It is your legal responsibility to make sure that the software you are installing can be legally used in your country and for your intended purpose.
    http://www.medibuntu.org/

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 25th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, in starting this thread, it wasn't my intent to start a long discussion on legality or distribution philosophy. Philosophy played a central role in the development of Ubuntu, and I imagine it won't change. If one doesn't like the philosophy of Ubuntu, it's much more effective to simply switch to a distro you do like.

I guess the main reason for my question was the fact that I didn't understand the purpose of the Universe and Multiverse repos. They're still hosted by Ubuntu, and so they still need to fall within legal bounds.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Well the hosting of the codecs is a non issue, you can host the codecs just not distribute them on the distro by default via the install disc.
    Hosting the codecs is not the issue, its using them is where that legal gray area comes in
    Again that all has to do with that legal gray area that even windows isnt immune to.
    The codecs you install at your own risk, ubuntu or canonical can host the codecs yes but its up to to you if you wish to ignore the laws of your respective nation.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; May 26th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Again that all has to do with that legal gray area that even windows isnt immune to.
    The codecs you install at your own risk, ubuntu or canonical can host the codecs yes but its up to to you if you wish to ignore the laws of your respective nation.
    What does Windows do about it?

I don't think the issue is about the legality; Medibuntu exists because its practical. Windows users watch films because it is practical.

What can be done to make this more practical without making it an issue?

Its not as if Medibuntu is more legal than normal Ubuntu. E.g., there are always it seems these knockoff distros such as Zorin OS and such which DO come with all the bases installed, and they sometimes even charge for their stuff. Why are they getting away with this, when Ubuntu can't?

Does Ubuntu need to offer a 5$ version of their OS that has these codecs installed, so they can pay some licensing fee? Its not like people are averse to paying for software, and those people who are embarassed to use a script in front of their significant other will have no problem just forking out a couple of bucks I imagine...while those that don't care continue to just use Medibuntu.

As for legality, things that are practical and widely accepted by society have a habit of becoming law anyways (in free societies at least). Should #FSF be harping more on the rights of users to watch the films they purchase?
    Last edited by LordDelta; May 26th, 2013 at 03:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordDelta View Post
    What does Windows do about it?
    Nothing, Windows by default does not ship codecs by default.
    What it does however is usually come with windows media player what when installed does install the codecs you need.

I don't think the issue is about the legality; Medibuntu exists because its practical. Windows users watch films because it is practical.
    No it has everything to do with legality.
    Medibuntu is a unofficial repository so it stays off the radar
    As for the official repos there is nothing really there to get ubuntu into trouble, again it is the end user who is at hand here.

What can be done to make this more practical without making it an issue?
    End software patents

Its not as if Medibuntu is more legal than normal Ubuntu. E.g., there are always it seems these knockoff distros such as Zorin OS and such which DO come with all the bases installed, and they sometimes even charge for their stuff. Why are they getting away with this, when Ubuntu can't?
    No medibuntu is an unofficial repo as I said
    As for spin offs again it all goes down to what they are willing to prepackage that is at stake here, by default Ubuntu cant as its owned by a publicly known company.
    The other distros like Zorin and mint are not owned by a major company, they are made by smaller entities.
    As for zorin by all means what it is doing is illegal and i am surprised it hasnt been killed off but because its still small I guess thats why it avoids scrutiny.

Does Ubuntu need to offer a 5$ version of their OS that has these codecs installed, so they can pay some licensing fee? Its not like people are averse to paying for software, and those people who are embarassed to use a script in front of their significant other will have no problem just forking out a couple of bucks I imagine...while those that don't care continue to just use Medibuntu.
    No as the cost of the codecs is much higher then just a fiver.

As for legality, things that are practical and widely accepted by society have a habit of becoming law anyways (in free societies at least). Should #FSF be harping more on the rights of users to watch the films they purchase?
    There is little the FSF can do, its not that powerful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Nothing, Windows by default does not ship codecs by default.
    What it does however is usually come with windows media player what when installed does install the codecs you need.

No it has everything to do with legality.
    Medibuntu is a unofficial repository so it stays off the radar
    As for the official repos there is nothing really there to get ubuntu into trouble, again it is the end user who is at hand here.
    Ok, so how is that legal for Windows?

Windows Media Player is very well known, and anything but unofficial or off of the radar.

How about just obfuscating the hell out the binary? If they're going to treat legitimate users like felons, perhaps the legitimate users should act more like felons and take a couple pages from the virus community. >_<

I don't usually wish bad things on people, I but I hope everyone at the RIAA/MPAA/Patent Troll loses their job, is locked up for twenty years, and is financially ruined forever, for their greed, gluttony, idiocy, and general tyrany.
    Last edited by LordDelta; May 26th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Beans

The thing is that windows media player gets its codecs via the internet (normally) it wont work otherwise.
    As for software patents yes they need to end but as long as the corrupt are in power it wont cease any time soon.
    But that is more of a political issue so I wont say more

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by LordDelta View Post
    Its not like people are averse to paying for software, and those people who are embarassed to use a script in front of their significant other will have no problem just forking out a couple of bucks I imagine...while those that don't care continue to just use Medibuntu.
    Perhaps you misunderstand what I said. I'm not embarrassed to use a script. They're quite useful. I'm embarrased that my OS doesn't have a more user-friendly way of doing something so common as watching a DVD.

And for the record, yes, some people are averse to paying for software. At least, I can attest to the existence of one who is. And the party in question is one to which the current poster is in the habit of referring by means of the perpendicular pronoun...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12