Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: store dvds on hard drive and play back

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: store dvds on hard drive and play back

I've never used xbmc and know nothing about it, sorry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

XBMC plays ISO files (and just about everything else) wonderfully. I used it on my media centre, where all the ISO files are stored; I can throw the DVDs in the loft, although I really wish I could just throw them away.

Once the files are in the library, you just select the movie you want, and press to play. No mounting, no messing, no fuss.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great!! Thanks !! And thanks to everyone who replied as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

indeed, i created an iso using k3b just to it and xmbc - worked great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey, this sure worked out great! I have now have the desktop also running as a samba server. I have xbmc on the deskltop so I can play movies/music/etc., AND I can connect from my tablet with the tablet version of xbmc and do the same, AND have a test bed Raspberry Pi set up with Rasperian, xmbc installed and working with local hard drive and via the server! This is all working out just like I wanted it to! I'm just waiting on the unique key for my CPU id so I can enable mpeg2 on the Raspberry Pi so I can play dvd's and dvd iso's. It was all of $3.14 U.S. at the time I ordered it (I think it's based on the current exchange rate) and I should have it in a day or 2.

Thanks everyone for your great help and patience!!

EDIT: forgot about the remotes - I just use the wireless mouse for the desktop, and for my test bed Raspberry Pi I found some info with a very minor addition of a part (read: a single part - I/R receiver from Radio Shack) connect to one or the programmable io pins, a voltage pin from the board and a ground pin from the board, then lirc which I have already installed. Will be doing that minor work tomorrow and then I can use a regular TV remote for the Raspberry Pi and leave it headless. If you're not familiar with the Raspberry Pi, I would suggest checking it out. Fro $39 plus cables and some work software wise [relatively easy = Rasperian the OS is based on Debian so some things look very familiar), you can biuld a media center. Since the box is running linux, there's also web browsing, etc.. It is based on a slower CPU and you will need USB external disk(s), but it's quite amazing for $39. OS, etc., sits on an SDHC card you plug into the board. Easy to create right from Ubuntu.
    Last edited by squakie; June 5th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your TV supports CEC then you don't even need an additional remote, the TV remote will send signals to the Raspberry Pi via the HDMI cable.

I have mine set up this way, the Pi also gets powered by the USB port on the TV. This method makes the cabling very neat and tidy as there are just 2 cables between the Pi and the TV and a WLAN dongle in the Pi, no external cabling required. You can also get cases for the Pi with mounting holes that match the VESA mounting holes on the back of the TV keeping everything out of sight.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was just trying that on the TV here in the basement. It's a cheap Haier set and so far I can find anything beyond extremely simple set up options on it. Might try it on another TV that quite a bit better (the apples/oranges thing) and see if it works there.

Thanks again! BTW - I see that xbmc for Android must still be in the beginning stages. I can play some iso's fine, other either don't start or cause xbmc to abort. They all play fine on the main system accessing them via the share, so it's obviously a xbmc for Android problem. I've only loaded 8 movies to the share so far - just my Harry Potter movies so I could test. It's interesting that the ones that cause problems in Android are the 2 smallest ones - below 7.4gb. Might see if xmbc has anything on that or if they want to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12