Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening vlc player in terminal window

Beans

opening vlc player in terminal window

when my computer finished updating from ubuntu to kubuntu...a few of my programs don't run. For instance, vlc player...it won't open and dragon player won't work. Does anyone have the codes for updating vlc player and dragon player?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 23rd, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: opening vlc player in terminal window

Thread moved to General Help.

Please use regular text. Your post has been edited accordingly. From the forum Code of Conduct:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu Forums CoC
    Use color and font properties for highlighting portions of your text, and not for all of the text in your post. Please use the default font color and properties unless you need to highlight or draw attention to a part of your post. ALL CAPS is interpreted as screaming. Funky non-uniform font size/color is difficult for those who are visually impaired. If you are having problems with reading the font, please adjust your browser.
    Also, not sure what your thread title has to do with your post. Title mentions opening VLC in a terminal (open terminal, type 'vlc') but your post mentions nothing about it. I can change the title to reflect your problem more appropriately if you'd like.

Try this, one after the other, in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    If there's any packages/apps that have an upgrade waiting that will upgrade them, and NOT the release so don't panic. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what happens when you open your terminal (ctrl+alt+t)and enter in
    Code:
    vlc -v
    what is printed to the terminal screen can you paste that here ?
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

@josephmills....this is what it says....VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower (revision 2.0.6-0-gbe9623c)[0x8509908] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the output of just running "vlc" in the terminal?

Does it launch anything, or give you text outputs?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

there should be more then that -v just means list things verbose aka debug well kinda but there should be way more things at least a seg fault if it does not launch

try again
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

@Bucky Ball...sorry about the color font...my favorite color is brown...didnt think it would be a problem. after sudo apt-get update...and sudo apt-get upgrade...vlc player and dragon player not opening.
    any more ideas?

Beans

@dead flowr...when i typed vlc -v...all that was shown was "VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower (revision 2.0.6-0-gbe9623c)[0x8509908] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.".....in reference to what is the output of running vlc in the terminal window...im not sure...what do i have to do exactly to get the output?

Beans

@josephmills...when i typed it again..it says the same thing..VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower (revision 2.0.6-0-gbe9623c)[0x8509908] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.....do you think i need to reinstall vlc player? and if so, do you know the terminal codes? when i checked in my ubuntu software center...it says that vlc player is installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you get a vlc window to open at least?

If you try running a video or something using the cvlc command like such
    Code:
    cvlc path/tovideo/file.avi,or-something
    Does it open a video screen, or do nothing?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast