Thread: Unity with live usb?

Beans

Unity with live usb?

I'm fairly sure this is a newb question, but it's got me a bit puzzled.

I've had Xubuntu 10.10 running on one of my older PC's for a while now. Because I don't spend a lot of time tweaking this machine, and don't want to spend a lot of time upgrading it in the future, I pulled down the current Xubuntu LTS 64 bit release. Before upgrading, I also wanted to make sure that there were no problems with it running on this computer, so I created a live usb and booted it that way.

I was a bit suprised when it booted Unity instead of XFCE. Is this normal on a live usb, or did I fubar something? If it's normal, is there a way to get the live usb to load XFCE after boot?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Unity with live usb?

Sounds like something went wrong. Did you do a version upgrade? Did you have an Ubuntu install on this computer? Unity is not included in the xubuntu install so I suspect you did at one time have ununtu-desktop installed.

Beans

Don't you just hate it when you post a question and then find out that the answer is something really...REALLY...stupid?

I stuck the USB drive in another nearby Win8 computer and verified that it's booting Ubuntu Unity. I then decided to re-create the live USB, loaded the Universal USB installer....and realized what I'd done wrong. I'd selected the wrong ISO. Doh!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It happens I once spent 3 days lost on a clover leaf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverleaf_interchange

if this is solved could you mark it as such thanks and glad to see that things are working out
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XFIS View Post
    Don't you just hate it when you post a question and then find out that the answer is something really...REALLY...stupid?

I stuck the USB drive in another nearby Win8 computer and verified that it's booting Ubuntu Unity. I then decided to re-create the live USB, loaded the Universal USB installer....and realized what I'd done wrong. I'd selected the wrong ISO. Doh!
    Funny; sounds like something that I would do

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads