Thread: Additional info for Wiki: MacBook Pro 9,2 and SSDs

Beans

Additional info for Wiki: MacBook Pro 9,2 and SSDs

Hi,

according to the Wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro9-2/Ringtail I'd like to share my experience with the MacBook Pro 9,2 (13") and Ubuntu 13.04 running on an SSD (or better two SSDs).
    First of all, I switched the included 750GB hard disc with a Samsung Pro Series 840 256GB SSD right after unboxing the new MBP. Then I booted while holding the alt key, selected a wireless lan and started the install routine of macos. I had to partition the SSD before I could start the installation process. Everything worked fine.
    After I have had a working macos 10.8.3, I additionally installed a second SSD (Samsung Series 830 256GB) instead of the dvd drive with the help of a caddy. There were many video tutorials on youtube which helped me doing this.
    Finally I installed Ubuntu 13.04 64bit from a USB stick.

So, now I have two SSDs. One for operating systems macos and Ubuntu 13.04 and the other for non-system files. I had no problems installing those operating systems or creating partitions.

So, for me the combination of MacBook Pro 9,2 with Raring Ringtail and SSDs works very well. I hope that will help others having the same idea, because it's stable and very fast.

Regards

Beans

Re: Additional info for Wiki: MacBook Pro 9,2 and SSDs

Hi ole01,

I have the same Macbook Pro as you own but just one SSD and still my Super-Drive. Would you mind to share your knowledge how you got Ubuntu installed on your MBP?

It drives me nuts tried liveCD, usb stick nothing works!

I hope to get some help from you.

Thanks for any replay in advance

Ps.
    I tried this tutorial:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/dual-boot-os-ubuntu/