Thread: Reordering taskbar icons in LXDE?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Reordering taskbar icons in LXDE?

Is there a way to reorder the taskbar icons for my windows in LXDE (Lubuntu)? I was running Gnome Classic until a few days ago but I tried LXDE and liked it so I kept it. In Gnome Classic it was a simple matter of clicking and dragging an icon to the desired position; I haven't been able to find a way to do this in LXDE.

And one other thing if anyone happens to know--Is there a way to keep Pidgin running in the background, and perhaps to put it on the system tray? In Gnome Classic, Pidgin automatically shows up on the tray as soon as I start it, and I remain signed in when I close the window. In LXDE it never appears on the tray, and closing the window results in being signed out (presumably meaning it exits the program rather than running it in the background).

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Reordering taskbar icons in LXDE?

Do you have lxpanel? What do you mean by "LXDE (Lubuntu)"? Have you actually installed Lubuntu or are you picking up bits and pieces of LXDE/Lubuntu software?
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans
    Distro

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which I initially installed as the default version of Ubuntu. I installed LXDE separately. I believe I used sudo apt-get install lxde. I did not install the full version of Lubuntu (lubuntu-desktop). I assume I have lxpanel because when I type lxpanel in the terminal I get
    Code:
    administrator@G50:~$ lxpanel
    There is already an instance of LXPanel.  Now to exit
    Here is a screenshot of my desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so now referring to your image, what would you like to do? And why can't you do it with lxpanel?

Or ... do you mean that after you open some programs and they appear in the panel you want to rearrange their order? I'm not sure that's possible

Beans
    Distro

Referring to my first question, yes, I want to rearrange the order of program icons on the taskbar section of the panel. For example, I want to be able to click and drag the terminal icon in this image and drag it to the right of the Firefox icon so it looks like this image. In Gnome Classic I was able to simply click and drag. In LXDE I haven't found a way to do it -- to make the images, I closed and re-opened the terminal between the screenshots just to demonstrate what I am trying to do, but obviously in some cases closing and reopening one (or multiple) windows isn't feasible.

And for the second question I mainly just want a way to keep Pidgin running when I close the window.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowVegan View Post
    Referring to my first question, yes, I want to rearrange the order of program icons on the taskbar section of the panel. ...
    And for the second question I mainly just want a way to keep Pidgin running when I close the window.
    Okay, even if what you want is possible with LXDE, I don't know how to do it!
    Re. Pidgin, also not a clue. Hope someone comes by with the solutions.
    But if you're going to stay with LXDE, you may have to do without some conveniences that you may find elsewhere.

Beans

Task bar buttons cannot be reordered. They just appear in the order they are opened, left to right. The exception is you can group all windows of the same application into one button - for example, two or more file manager windows on the same button.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 23rd, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the replies. It sounds like there is not a built in option to reorder taskbar icons, but is there perhaps some way to add this feature? I don't know what allows it to be done in Gnome, but if there is a program for it, maybe that program could be enabled in LXDE?