Thread: pgadmin3 restore fails

Beans

pgadmin3 restore fails

Is it OK to ask a Postgres question here?

I'm trying to restore a db using pgAdmin3. But, I'm getting the following:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] connection to database "ndeavor_production" failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

I don't see any place to put in a password during the restore.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: pgadmin3 restore fails

I've never used pgadmin3, but I have restored PG databases from the command line many times using the psql client. Was the source created by running pg_dump?

Usually the "postgres" user has no password, either at the OS level or the database level.

Suppose the dump file is called mydatabase.dump. I would follow these steps:

Code:
    sudo su
    [enter your password]
    su postgres
    cd
    psql < /path/to/mydatabase.dump
    exit
    exit
    If that does not work, try using "psql template1 < /path/to/mydatabase.dump".

I do use Microsoft Access as a GUI frontend from time to time after installing the ODBC driver for PostgreSQL in Windows. That can be useful for importing large datasets in a spreadsheet or CSV/TSV formats. Mostly I just run queries from the command line using psql.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: pgadmin3 restore fails

I used pgAdmin3 to backup the database. I used the directory format. Now, I'm trying to restore that same backup. When I connect to the pg server, I use user=pgadmin and it has a password. In the restore error log, there is this line --no-password. I don't see any place in the restore screens to add a password. There is a screen for 'security labels' but, I don't know what that's for.

I would really like to restore using pgAdmin3 and not the command line.

Thanks.