Thread: Moonlight codecs

Beans

Moonlight codecs

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit. I have Moonlight installed, but every time I try to use it I get prompted to install codecs. When I try to install them I get a message that it failed to download EULA. It just says "network error."This has been going on for months, even before I upgraded from 12.10. I haven't been too worried about it up until now, but now I have an online class that requires it. Is there a way to install the codecs manually?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Moonlight codecs

If you are talking about the open source clone for Silverlight it has been dead for almost a year. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/linux-silverlight-plugin-moonlight-abandone
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you need to use Silverlight, you need to be running Windows. Moonlight does not include any of the proprietary parts of Silverlight, particularly the components that handle DRM-encumbered content.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

It probably works in wine with the windows version of Firefox. What kind of online classes are still offered in Silverlight? Even MicroSoft closed down the Silverlight site and Netflix is ditching it.

Beans

Many universities have started using panopto for lecture capture, seems it uses silverlight

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ngunton View Post
    Many universities have started using panopto for lecture capture, seems it uses silverlight
    Not sure if "many" universities use silverlight. Maybe some private colleges..

Anyway, here is a possible solution for those interested. http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipel...our-linux.html

I have just tested it on Fedora 19 and Manjaro Linux 0.88 (a derivative of ArchLinux). In Fedora it works very smoothly in Chrome but in Firefox it just shows a white box (maybe some of the addons I have installed?). In Manjaro it works flawlessly in both Chrome and Firefox. Here is the site I tested
    http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming1080p

I haven't installed it in Ubuntu because it is my main system, don't want to risk messing up anything until adequately tested.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 27th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

I have been using Pipelight for a few weeks now in Ubuntu with Firefox and it seems to run very well with the items I have tested it with.