Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stay with Ubuntu or change to other distro?

Beans

Re: Stay with Ubuntu or change to other distro?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuriano View Post
    Beside a particular desktop environment like Kde, Xfce, gnome ect. I suggest you try distros with different package managers. In my case after testing apt-get and pacman I came across entropy/equo in Sabayon and realize that it was the one for me. I believed that in order to get the most out of your system, any gnu/linux user should familiarize with the package manager that your distribution use.

Regards
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Fedora and OpenSuse both have different package managers, yum and zypper. Plus, I really liked YaST in Osuse.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NapkinMan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Fedora and OpenSuse both have different package managers, yum and zypper. Plus, I really liked YaST in Osuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_Live_CDs#Package_management_an d_installation
    Indeed, here you would find different distros and the package managers they use.

Since Sabayon allow me to use two package managers entropy and portage, my next project will be to learn the portage dance.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans

To update you guys with my current situation. I've divided my ubuntu partition in two, ending up with 80gb of Windows7, 35gb for Ubuntu and another 35 for another OS to test. I've installed opensuse 12.3 on the empty partition and am currently testing it. Everything seems to be working fine after the updates. I also tried Fedora 18 KDE and it makes all the difference. I'll keep testing it on vmware and if I eventually get bored with osuse ill go with fedora for my third partition. I've decided to: keep Windows7 until i am 100% confortable with linux, keep ubuntu to have a stable and "main" linux distro. Thank you for all the support.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123