Thread: Is it possible to backup your actual programs to an EHDD and use on other PC's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Is it possible to backup your actual programs to an EHDD and use on other PC's?

Hi guys,

I know this is an odd question but my girlfriends mother has hit a bit of a dilemma.

You see her laptop is running Windows 7 and her laptop is a little on the slow side as it's three years old and she's contemplating whether or not to get a new laptop or desktop. But the programs she is using cost her in total of about £300 so she doesn't want to change her laptop and have to buy those licences again...

We were talking about backing up files and such things but ( and this is where Linux also comes in ) is it possible to actually back your programs up and use them on another computer with the same platform?

I.e if you're using Ubuntu ( which I am ) and I want to change my distro but the DRM only allows me to use one O/S, can I backup the currently used program onto an External Hard Drive?

The same goes for Windows 7 to Windows 7?

Thanks.

Jamie E.
    Main rig setup:
    Mobo - MSI 790 Mainboard | CPU - AMD FX43000 Black Edition x4 | GPU - eVGA GeForce 550Ti | RAM - 8GiB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | Other - Corsair H60 Water Cooler | Dual Monitor Setup | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | Windows 10

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is it possible to backup your actual programs to an EHDD and use on other PC's?

Windows itself cannot be moved to another computer. OEM licenses are common and belong to the particular computer. There are also general licenses, that you are allowed to remove from one computer and install into another computer. If she has such a license she has also an install disk and a license document (not only a sticker on the computer).

The licenses of software can be different. Often but not always you can move them to another computer by uninstalling and reinstalling.

-o-

This is so much easier in the world of free software. If you have not installed any proprietary drivers, your installed system is often directly portable (so that you can clone it and run it in another computer). It is possible and legal.

But the standard procedure is to install a fresh system into the new computer and add software when you need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Is it possible to backup your actual programs to an EHDD and use on other PC's?

I know Windows itself cannot be moved as like you said, it would need to be cloned and then transferred but serious compatibility issues would ensue. The program in question is the Serif plus suite, so that's the likes of Draw Plus, Photo Plus etc...

The licences that came with the software was single PC, but as for whether it is an OEM or General licence, I cannot tell you. But it sounds to me that it's more hassle than it's worth, yes?
    Main rig setup:
    Mobo - MSI 790 Mainboard | CPU - AMD FX43000 Black Edition x4 | GPU - eVGA GeForce 550Ti | RAM - 8GiB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | Other - Corsair H60 Water Cooler | Dual Monitor Setup | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | Windows 10

Beans
    Hidden!

Not necessarily. Try to find the install media (if available) and the licenses, and check the web sites of those software packages. £300 is too much to just throw away.