Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 crashing when using Google Maps

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 crashing when using Google Maps

Hi everyone

I've got Ubuntu 12.04 and it seems very stable, except when I use Google Maps. It's the only time when Ubuntu crashes on my laptop. It doesn't happen everytime, but often Ubuntu just freezes without any warning when using Google Maps, and I have to reset my laptop. Is this a known bug? Anyone got the same? Is there maybe a fix? Or should I report this bug somehow?
    I use Google Maps often so it would be nice if I could do something about it.

Thanks
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 crashing when using Google Maps

Which browser are you using? How much RAM do you have in the system?

Thanks,
    Cipherboy

Beans

Have you considered this might NOT be a laptop related issue? May be a browser related issue? Probably try installing separate browser like chrome and try to access it and let us know how it goes.

Beans

Thanks for the quick response.
    I use Firefox and have 8 Gb RAM. I don't think the RAM is the problem, 8 Gb is more than enough, isn't it?
    I can try with another browser, but I'll have to use it for a while then, before I can definitely say it doesn't have the problem, because it doesn't happen always.

I'll report back.

Beans

Yes, it seems like it's Firefox related, because (until now) it hasn't happened with Chrome. Still, it freezes the whole systemn when it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can you list any extensions you have installed in Firefox? Presumably it's version 21.0?

Beans

Yes, the Firefox version is 21.0.
    Extensions, only Adblock plus 2.2.4. There are also "Global Menu Bar integration 4.1" and "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6", but I think those are standard in Ubuntu. (I also have "Session Manager 0.8.0.7", but that I just installed a few days ago, so it has nothing to do with the crashes)

But I read somewhere, that someone claims it has to do with the WebGL, and if you disable that, the problem should be fixed. But I don't really know what WebGL is and what other effects disabling it can have...
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/840823

Beans

I have the same issue. I don't have to reboot, but X got frozen, and I have to open term and kill the browser.
    The problem persists with chrome and firefox.

Beans

For those still experiencing the issue, I fixed my problem with:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/29840.../340161#340161

Beans

Unfortunately it seems not to be connected with Firefox. I have been using Street View on Chrome just before an hour and it has frozen my laptop completely. I had to power it off. I have 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 12.04, Fujitsu-Siemens M9410 laptop, 2,50Ghz x2. I turned it on and tried to restore Chrome session. The freeze has happened again. The total resume operation costed me one hour (1h) because I tried to kill some processes from terminal. 1h just to keep it going... The same has happened when I carefully just wanted to watch some embedded videos from web pages on full screen. The system has suddenly stopped reacting and neither Alt+1 or Alt+Ctrl+F1 or maybe Alt+Ctrl+1 hasn't helped. Only old and certain power-off + removing battery for 5 seconds. Yes, I am learning how to live with Ubuntu!