Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dislike desktop environment for 13.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot stand desktop environment for 13.10

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    I just don't get it...what's the problem with 13.10? Did he installed 13.10 development release and whining about the Unity desktop? Unity is the default DE on Ubuntu since 11.04 > and on 14.04 with Unity Next. If you want to use gnome-classic, use 12.04 and install gnome-panel. Most of us here like to testing and using unity and gnome-shell development branch.
    I kinda agree with what your saying. Some people though like to mix the old with the new. Having the old way of gnome2 desktop along with the newer updated libs. I was doing this for a while because my OS was freezing up or running strangely. Now that I found the issues, I use Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    I just don't get it...what's the problem with 13.10? Did he installed 13.10 development release and whining about the Unity desktop? Unity is the default DE on Ubuntu since 11.04 > and on 14.04 with Unity Next. If you want to use gnome-classic, use 12.04 and install gnome-panel. Most of us here like to testing and using unity and gnome-shell development branch.
    Some people lurk under bridges though
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Linux Mint MATE - while it looks different out of the box - can be configured to look like Gnome 2 era Ubuntu by getting rid of the Mint menu and fiddling with the panels. It's probably not a good idea to mix the Olivia repo with the Saucy dev repos but you could give it a go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    With between 12 and 20 million users, Ubuntu has all types of users, I've found that there are many users that just use a version until it's no longer supported, they are happy with what they've got, so they never check the news, or even think about installing a new version, so when they install the latest and greatest they get quite a surprise as the desktop environment they are used to is nowhere to be seen.

As to why the op installed the latest development version, we'll never know unless he comes back to tell us why.
    As I previously said, I did PM the OP to be certain that was not a typo.

I'm thinking that we should perhaps close this thread if I/we don't hear back sometime soon.

People get confused about release numbers/designations so we can't even be sure what version is actually being used, and people also need to know about the decreased support cycle for interim releases

Those who hate change should absolutely settle into the current LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I tried a nightly build of 13.10 the other day and I could not find much if anything different between it at this stage and 13.04. but even so I don't see why they would have disabled right clicking if that is what he has.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have to agree with kansasnoob, if we don't hear from the op fairly soon, there really isn't much point to this thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I have to agree with kansasnoob, if we don't hear from the op fairly soon, there really isn't much point to this thread.
    Agree. Not sure a thread listing alternatives is of any use either, most of the people reading this can find what they are interested in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123