Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dislike desktop environment for 13.10

Beans

Re: Cannot stand desktop environment for 13.10

I use the desktop and wallpaper and icons on it...

1) Cannot right click on desktop
    3) Cannot change features from right-clicking on desktop
    This still works in Unity if Nautilus/Files is managing the desktop.

2) Annoying bar on the left side of screen
    Classic desktop has always had at least one dock. Unity has it and the only difference is it's fixed at left side of the screen. This doesn't allow customization and that much is true BUT it works OK to be honest and you just have to get use to it. Too bad Dodge Windows was removed in the past because it was perfect back then but it still quite OK once you get use to it.

In the future (Unity 8) i don't know what will happen to the desktop and we will just have to wait and see. I hope icons and folders and wallpaper will still be there in the "desktop mode" but on phone/tablet "mobile mode" we will probably get "full screen" dash or something like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I use the desktop and wallpaper and icons on it...

This still works in Unity if Nautilus/Files is managing the desktop.

Classic desktop has always had at least one dock. Unity has it and the only difference is it's fixed at left side of the screen. This doesn't allow customization and that much is true BUT it works OK to be honest and you just have to get use to it. Too bad Dodge Windows was removed in the past because it was perfect back then but it still quite OK once you get use to it.

In the future (Unity 8) i don't know what will happen to the desktop and we will just have to wait and see. I hope icons and folders and wallpaper will still be there in the "desktop mode" but on phone/tablet "mobile mode" we will probably get "full screen" dash or something like that.
    On the two Android powered devices I own, icons on the desktop and wallpaper are an integral part of the OS, so I can't see Canonical not allowing the same on Ubuntu Touch.

The one thing I really like about Android, is the ability to easily use active wallpapers. On my Transformer tablet, I have a wallpaper with a killer whale swimming around, the water level drops along with the battery level, and the sky reflects the time of day. On my HTC Desire, I have a pond with leaves floating around in it, and again the reflection on the water changes with the time of day.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The Gnome developers have stopped working on the two panel style of desktop environment, so as you don't seem to be aware of all the other desktop environments available, I'll create a list of distributions to look at that may suit the way you work:

Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Ubuntu Gnome
    But Edubuntu dev will continue to keep the actual "fallback-session" alive, which means the Metacity window manager and 'gnome-panel' will live for some time yet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But Edubuntu dev will continue to keep the actual "fallback-session" alive, which means the Metacity window manager and 'gnome-panel' will live for some time yet
    I haven't tried Edubuntu for years, so I keep forgetting about it.

Beans

You won't need to install Edubuntu to be able to use the fallback session. It'll still be installable because Edubuntu dev needs to keep it alive for their LTSP installs:

http://jonathancarter.org/2013/02/05...anel-is-alive/

But as more and more components of Gnome 3.8 hit the repos it will become more and more challenging.

It's just going to require a change in "tweaks" but we should have it all sorted by the time 14.04 hits

Beans

BTW I sent the OP a PM to make sure that "13.10" was not just a typo (or based on confusion).

Like ......... uh, we all get confused ............. I know I do

Beans

On the two Android powered devices I own, icons on the desktop and wallpaper are an integral part of the OS, so I can't see Canonical not allowing the same on Ubuntu Touch.

The one thing I really like about Android, is the ability to easily use active wallpapers. On my Transformer tablet, I have a wallpaper with a killer whale swimming around, the water level drops along with the battery level, and the sky reflects the time of day. On my HTC Desire, I have a pond with leaves floating around in it, and again the reflection on the water changes with the time of day.
    Yes i am sure there are "icons" and "background image" planed for "mobile mode" but "mobile mode" is controlled with finger gestures and it probably makes sense to have something like dash in "full screen" and user can press on different icons or "slide" left/right/up/down to get to "more icons" or switch between opened apps... If i am not mistaken preview Unity 8 session in Ubuntu 13.10 will work similar to this...

But i think "desktop mode" (in the Unity 9?) should have classical elements from Unity 7. Dock/wallpaper/icons on the desktop not only in Dash because it's hard to imagine user that needs to use Nautilus managing the desktop on mobile phone or the same user using "finger gestures optimized UX" with mouse and keyboard. Both mode will probably have wallpaper and icons i am quite sure of that but in the end they are addressing different needs/purpose and will need to differ a bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Edubuntu is probably the one distro that doesn't get the love it needs.

And I don't know what vaccum the OP was in to want to make a jump all the way to a dev branch, if the OP indeed did so.
    Seems like a leap before you look situation.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

I just don't get it...what's the problem with 13.10? Did he installed 13.10 development release and whining about the Unity desktop? Unity is the default DE on Ubuntu since 11.04 > and on 14.04 with Unity Next. If you want to use gnome-classic, use 12.04 and install gnome-panel. Most of us here like to testing and using unity and gnome-shell development branch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    I just don't get it...what's the problem with 13.10? Did he installed 13.10 development release and whining about the Unity desktop? Unity is the default DE on Ubuntu since 11.04 > and on 14.04 with Unity Next. If you want to use gnome-classic, use 12.04 and install gnome-panel. Most of us here like to testing and using unity and gnome-shell development branch.
    With between 12 and 20 million users, Ubuntu has all types of users, I've found that there are many users that just use a version until it's no longer supported, they are happy with what they've got, so they never check the news, or even think about installing a new version, so when they install the latest and greatest they get quite a surprise as the desktop environment they are used to is nowhere to be seen.

As to why the op installed the latest development version, we'll never know unless he comes back to tell us why.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast