Thread: How Do I Recover Deleted Files.

Hybrid View

Beans

How Do I Recover Deleted Files.

Alright Here is the deal.

A co worker accidentally deleted his external hard drive. There isn't anything important on it thankfully as this is just a media storage devise. It would be nice to be able to recover the data that is on it to save time in rebuilding the libraries and such.

Here's the thing. I know about Testdisk, photorec and the like. But they are all command line based applications. I am looking for the Application that can be downloaded, installed, and used similarly to windows software.

I am looking for an easy to use well built, GUI based application. Is there one out there? Linux still has A-Lot of catching up to do.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How Do I Recover Deleted Files.

Although I have not used it, R-Tools provides a free recovery tool for Linux with GUI.
    Here is the link: http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/Download.shtml

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    Although I have not used it, R-Tools provides a free recovery tool for Linux with GUI.
    Here is the link: http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/Download.shtml
    Thank you very much however these options are for Linux drives. I was looking for a linux option to recover files with a drive formatted in NTFS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by macpointman View Post
    Thank you very much however these options are for Linux drives. I was looking for a linux option to recover files with a drive formatted in NTFS.
    Some folks have used TestDisk and PhotoRec (Linux data recovery apps) ... but my own experience in using them on Windows filesystems was abysmal.

The Windows apps are able to recover the full file structures, including the directory and file names. No sofware app is going to be perfect, but I've found the ones offered by RunTime Software to be the best.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi macpointman.

Lynux caught up a long time ago.

First, how was the drive deleted, eg; cord accidentally yanked out, deleted using a program, etc.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Hi macpointman.

Lynux caught up a long time ago.

First, how was the drive deleted, eg; cord accidentally yanked out, deleted using a program, etc.
    The drive was deleted via an inadvertent press of the Delete Key and a yes I want to delete these files. Then there was an OOOPS!!!

Linux is still behind Windows. By quite a bit. Especially for the average computer user. As a daily Ubuntu 12.10 user I can see where a person who is considering using Linux as an alternate would be "UMMM You know I'm just going to stick with Windows 7." It is the small things that make the difference.

Hardware support being a big one. And little annoyances here and there that Windows has ironed out. The Command line being one of those things. The average windows user doesn't even want to think about command line. When WIFI adapters (Both of my laptops are not supported out of the box) are not supported and Drivers cant simply be downloaded and installed similarly to Windows that's a deal killer. Especially when several command line entries and file edits are required to fix the issue. Proprietary video drivers that do not work out of the box and have issues time and time again is another example.

Linux is still behind

Hey there are updates for your computer. Do you want to update your software now. When the user says yes they expect their software to be updated. They don't expect to get an error saying you dont have this repository enabled? Enabling those repositories Why? the software is already installed why doesn't Linux just say Oh hey this piece of software is installed let me update it. Windows does that with ease and the user doesn't have to worry about it.

Linux is still behind

Wait what do you mean I have to install this and that to get my DVD's and Video files to play on my PC. Windows does that out of the box when I install the video player.

Linux is behind

Linux is Behind Windows. There is no real compelling reason for the beginner or average user to switch yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If the external drive was formatted with a Windows filesystem, you would do better using Windows utilities to recover the files.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    If the external drive was formatted with a Windows filesystem, you would do better using Windows utilities to recover the files.
    I have used these options before. I was wondering if there was an effective Linux option out there that was GUI based and simple to install and use as well as effective.

Beans

Thank you all for your responses. I in no way am trying to be contrite or want to upset anyone. I sometimes have a direct way of saying things and my desire is not to start a debate. I stated some observations where the average user will be frustrated with Linux. Heck I've been using Linux for years and I am still frustrated by some of these same issues. I still consider myself an Average user.

At any rate thank you hopefully I haven't offended anyone.

Beans

You may find the information you need here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

I find that people get the best answers when they do not share opinions and observations not related to the issue for which they are seeking help. The task you are attempting is not a task an "average user" would do. An average user would likely take such a task to a professional.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]