Thread: Do you think for each app idea you think off, which already exists, is waste of time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Do you think for each app idea you think off, which already exists, is waste of time?

I know it's kinda of a dumb question, but I think there is so much competition on play and app markets that you can't create your own unique app to be the best out of the millions. What do you think?
    "If you are in hell, keep going." Winston Churchil
    ubuntucrazygeek.blogspot.com
    http://motivatedsuccess.tumblr.com/
    http://pavelexpertov.tumblr.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Do you think for each app idea you think off, which already exists, is waste of t

1) There is a lot of crap out there
    2) Of course I'm/you are a much better programmer/designer than all these semi-competent codemongers
    3) What makes the success of an app isn't its quality but its marketing
    4) Selling your app is a bit like playing the lottery. With a miracle you can get rich. But writing an app is more fun than buying a ticket
    5) Even if you don't make money on it, that may look good on a resumé and help you get hired in a professional mobile development shop...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Do you think for each app idea you think off, which already exists, is waste of t

I am with you ofnuts, writing an app is more fun than trying to have it brought .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

writing an application gives you the chance of learning a lot of things about the world of informatics.
    Selling an application doesn't give you the chance of learning something about informatics, but it gives you only the chance of earning some money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

First, "best" is a notoriously squishy parameter. However, looking at a lot of software out there, it seems there is a bunch that doesn't even fulfill its own goals and ideals. If the execution of the plan is poor, it doesn't matter how brilliant was the plan. So on this point alone, I think you could make apps that are "better" than most, by actually making a polished product. However, that final polish can take so much work, I think it scares people off. And it often seems that the interface design is where people let things go. I've seen applications that are very powerful but barely usable.

Software evolution is continual. Available resources change. Available techniques change. Needs change. It is always possible that your iteration will address some issues previously left open, or execute the solutions better in some metric. And completing an application is certainly the best way of gaining experience.

This of course leaves out the question of success, which is more complex than simply writing the best code and doing the best design.
    Die writing: I write crazy things
    PhD Wander: I write crazy things about my travels
    RedScout: Lenovo 3000 C100, 1.5GHz Celeron M, 1.25GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah thanx guys at least I will keep in mind that it's totally fun and beneficial to write programs . And hopefully, maybe I will build future on that.
    @ofnuts, your profile pic is awesome !!!
    "If you are in hell, keep going." Winston Churchil
    ubuntucrazygeek.blogspot.com
    http://motivatedsuccess.tumblr.com/
    http://pavelexpertov.tumblr.com/

Beans

I think a lot of people immediately lose motivation by thinking "ah, my idea has already been done a million times". Whilst that's true in many cases, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Making your ideas come to life will give you a sense of achievement, and you'll learn something.

Plus, if we all took the negative approach... then nothing would ever be created
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It's also a truism (and at times actually true) that the idea you have for an app will never be quite like the vision of the other developers who created similar apps. So even if you create something that's been done before, there's a good chance that your idea has some unique twists and quirks. Who knows? Perhaps those little touches will be the difference between those other crappy applications and your elegant and beautiful one.

Seriously, in all the countless portraits of young women that have been painted over the centuries, would you consider the Mona Lisa just another knockoff? Most people in the know wouldn't. Your version of the same concept can be unique and ingenious.

Or, it can be another piece of junk. It's up to you.
    Last edited by llanitedave; May 23rd, 2013 at 02:40 AM.