Thread: eyeCharm eye-tracker adds OpenKinect support. OpenKinect supports Linux. Ubuntu?

Beans

eyeCharm eye-tracker adds OpenKinect support. OpenKinect supports Linux. Ubuntu?

I received an update email for my Kickstarter backing of the NUIA eyeCharm eye-tracker:

“We also added support for the OpenKinect software, besides the normal Kinect SDK. So if you already have installed any of these on your system you can stick to them. Btw OpenKinect already supports Linux and OS X..! ”.

Does this mean that the eye-tracker will work on Ubuntu? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: eyeCharm eye-tracker adds OpenKinect support. OpenKinect supports Linux. Ubuntu?

"Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Re: eyeCharm eye-tracker adds OpenKinect support. OpenKinect supports Linux. Ubuntu?

I forgot to update this thread. 4tiitoo never delivered on their Kickstarter for the NUIA eye tracker. They went silent, and angered all their backers. The claimed that they were being sued for patent infringement but some German backers found out that they had a lot of debt. They filed for bankruptcy. Their reputation is in tatters.

I’ll soon put up a post about the available free options for eye-tracking on Linux (like modifying a cheap web-cam). Also, some additional good news is that one of the eye tracking companies (millions in venture capital, as opposed to a $100,000 Kickstarter) is going to bring a Linux version of their software soon.

Even if there is no interest in getting a commercial eye tracker, a lot of the eye-tracking interfaces that are now being built for the commercial eye trackers should work with the free options for eye-tracking.

Lastly, if there’s no interest in eye-tracking in general, I hope my next post will lay out some of the advantages of the technology (although, for accessibility, the benefits are straightforward.)
    Last edited by bboyjkang; June 1st, 2014 at 10:08 AM.