Thread: Windows files only partially shown in Ubuntu + a few getting started questions

Beans

Windows files only partially shown in Ubuntu + a few getting started questions

Hello everyone, very new to ubuntu, and I think the interface is absolutely beautiful. I am using Ubuntu through the usb for now, after following this tutorial http://lifehacker.com/5504531/the-co...-a-thumb-drive - I have version 12.10 ubuntu.

1) My windows 8 imploded on me, it went from an automatic repair loop to constantly asking for repair and restarting itself. Sadly, none of the tools they provide have any effect, and this laptop is only a few weeks old. I booted ubuntu to try to get a file (literally one note document that I forgot to backup, and my exams are in a few days! Great timing ^ ^), the problem is I can only see some of the files under "Windows 8 OS", I already have hidden items being shown, and tried CTRL+H. Other posts have said to CTRL+L host or /media/user, but neither of these work.

2) After getting my file back, I am going to "reset" (which should wipe all data and reboot windows 8) windows 8, hopefully that will actually do something. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can fix windows 8 from Ubuntu or any way you can think of, please share!

3) Finally, I would like to dual boot ubuntu with windows 8 after I fix my windows 8 (Ubuntu is just way too pretty!). I found this tutorial about dual-booting the two without problems http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM . Also, by the sounds of it, files between ubuntu and windows do not automatically sync, so I found this method of synching http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/11/...-ubuntu-12-10/ . Are there any other essential things for me to do?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Windows files only partially shown in Ubuntu + a few getting started questions

If you're really interested in "fixing" Windows 8, you should really post in the premier Windows 8 forums: eightforums.com. There are tutorials there on how to do various kinds of repairs and resets.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: Windows files only partially shown in Ubuntu + a few getting started questions

Thanks for the suggestion : ), it is always better to have a backup OS right? I have tried many of their solutions but to no avail. I will make my own post there though.

Beans

I don't belive you can dual boot Windows 8. I have Windows 7 and dual boot to Ubuntu 12.04 and ever since I set up the dual boot, I haven't returned to Windows. My wife has Windoze 8 and I gave up trying to dual boot her system.
    Last edited by sandyd; May 22nd, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: no windows slang please

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Ubuntu + preinstalled win8 dual boot can be done, there are some threads about it, but it's more complicated than other windows versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rebootin View Post
    I don't belive you can dual boot Windoze 8. I have Windoze 7 and dual boot to Ubuntu 12.04 and ever since I set up the dual boot, I haven't returned to Windoze. My wife has Windoze 8 and I gave up trying to dual boot her system.
    Actually, YES, you can dual-boot with Win8 -- but the introduction of secure-boot, UEFI, and GPT have all made this a LOT more complicated than before.

There have been loits of thread in the Installations section about such activities.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have no idea how skilled you are with a computer, but do you know that your personal files are located in [windows8]/users/[username]/ ? "my documents", "my pictures", "desktop", ... They're all in there.

If the files are really missing, I would think that there is something wrong with your Hard Drive. I would suggest just returning the computer, because even for windoze, it is not normal to break so fast. A friend of mine had a similar problem, turns out his motherboard was broken from the beginning...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also, please make sure that you are not suffering from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674, which may be causing your inability to view files.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks for replies everyone.

I have read a few threads about dual-booting windows 8 and ubuntu, they sound way complicated.

I did check under windows 8 --> etc. --> users --> documents. I should have mentioned that all the files that I do see from my windows are all .ini and .ink, weird endings I have not seen before

I didn't mess around with the partitions on this thing until I had this problem. So it shouldn't be because of paritition manipulation that my files are missing.

: (

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Could you please give some screenshots of what you are seeing exactly? I have no idea what could be wrong but maybe I figure something out when I see what you're seeing.