Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't connect to wired network

Beans

Re: Can't connect to wired network

Well, if it's saying connected then sounds like it is and your problem is external to your computer, possibly the router. Is this router working fine for other machines?
    I think it says connected no matter what values I put in (but I tried everything I could think of just to make sure I didn't mess up with the adresses)
    Every other computer, including this one, get connection without a problem, only with ubuntu I can't get connection (I use this same computer to run windows xp and ubuntu, in separate HDD)

This is w/ the router IP
    Code:
    ping 87.100.194.98
    connect: Network is unreachable
    And this is the gateway address, I wasn't sure which one I was supposed to use in this instance
    Code:
    ping 87.100.128.1
    connect: Network is unreachable

I acquired both addresses with windows xp if it matters

Code:
    ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:d3:f3:44:46  
              inet6 addr: fe80::213:d3ff:fef3:4446/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:2642 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:2642 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:212893 (212.8 KB)  TX bytes:212893 (212.8 KB)
    I tried to access the router settings trough both, windows xp and ubuntu, but I couldn't, and I find this odd since XP does have connection to the router so it couldn't be about that.
    I also tried to access with windows 7 laptop (wireless) without luck

I dont know if this helps but I did
    Code:
     ping -r (1-9) www.google.com
    with windows XP and it timed out everytime
    Last edited by vlzk; May 23rd, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The router IP.

Right click the network icon, edit connections, IPv4 tab and make sure 'Method' is 'Automatic (DHCP)'.

Anything acquired by XP has nothing whatever to do with the Ubuntu install. Never the twain shall meet. Nothing you do in one OS has any effect whatever on the other (unless you do something radical like wipe a partition/drive). They are two different OSs on separate partitions so they may as well be on different machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    The router IP.

Right click the network icon, edit connections, IPv4 tab and make sure 'Method' is 'Automatic (DHCP)'.

Anything acquired by XP has nothing whatever to do with the Ubuntu install. Never the twain shall meet. Nothing you do in one OS has any effect whatever on the other (unless you do something radical like wipe a partition/drive). They are two different OSs on separate partitions so they may as well be on different machines.
    yes the IPv4 is on "automatic", I have also tried to put them in manually with no luck. I know XP and ubuntu are a completely different thing, what I meant was that I used the XP console to get the router IP and gateway etc. since I can't get them with ubuntu because it cannot make any connection to the router. I hope the IP or gateway is not affected by witch OS I'm using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No point putting static IP in the local machine as that will cause more confusion if the router is trying to serve you one via DHCP. The router it trying to send the local machine an IP and the local machine is trying to send its static IP to the router ... train wreck. Leave set to Automatic (as I presume there is no static IP set in Windows so you must be getting served one via DHCP by the router or your ISP possibly.

Go ahead and access the router via Win or whatever. Makes no diff.

Beans

Yes, well that's the problem, ubuntu doesn't seem to be able to make the connection automatically, and I didn't succeed with adding the settings manually either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12