Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paid Linux software - open or closed source. Recommendations?

Beans

Paid Linux software - open or closed source. Recommendations?

Hi folks. Question for you... what paid applications do you use with Linux, that you'd recommend?

The reason I'm asking this question here, is because the Ubuntu Software Center mostly has only games that are available for pay.

(Also, please... no comments about the request for closed-source recommendations. I have nothing against this, in principal. Software devs need to make a living too. If you want to argue about that, please, let's do it somewhere else.)

I'd like to support Linux devs, and ongoing Linux devleopment. I figure this is one of the best ways to do that.

As a list, I've got the following so far:
    App-Make-inator
    Game-Make-inator
    Better Compare
    Blender <donation-ware>
    calibre <donation-ware>
    IntelliJ IDEA (Ultimate) 12.1.3
    Scrivener (it's free now, but I'll definitely be paying when he moves to a paid model)
    Sublime Text
    Maple
    Wolfram Mathematica 9
    VMware Workstation 9

Any others you'd recommend? I'm not interested in games as much... there are plenty of those available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Thanks!
    Last edited by akulbe; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added content - again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Paid Linux software - open or closed source. Recommendations?

Calibre, it's free but has a nice big donate button.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Why do you have blender in the list? You can donate if you want, but it is not a paid application and it is entirely open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Some people with "difficult" scanners swear by Vuescan, which can find some machines that sane seems to ignore. I've never needed it myself, though I did look at it recently, just to find out more about it, and it certainly worked fine with my HP multifunction machine.

You can get it from http://www.hamrick.com/ and there is no need to install it into the system; just run the executable from the extracted archive in your /home. If sane works for you this may be totally unnecessary, of course.

Beans

"Why do you have blender in the list? You can donate if you want, but it is not a paid application and it is entirely open source."

Yeah, I thought that one was a paid app. My mistake. Still definitely worth donating to, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@akulbe, this is just to let you know that we have removed edit limits on all posts less than a year old, so you can edit your first post if you want.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 22nd, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by akulbe View Post
    Hi folks. Question for you... what paid applications do you use with Linux ...
    Answer for you: None.

Beans

Bucky Ball: Why not? do you have something against paying a developer for the hard work they put into creating the applications that you use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I currently use no paid-for applications. Not for ideological reasons, but because I don't need to.

I did use a paid-for dialup modem driver from Linuxant. That got me online for over 18 months before I was able to get a high-speed connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by akulbe View Post
    Bucky Ball: Do you have something against paying a developer for the hard work they put into creating the applications that you use?
    None at all. There is a difference in paying for the software (meaning you buy the software) or you download the software, use it and are under no obligation to pay but can donate if you want/can afford to (you may actually help in other ways than money, incidentally). So are you asking whether I support buying software from a developer or using their software and donating if I want? I took the meaning of this thread as in the first context; what software, open or closed source, have I bought for Linux (not donated to) and would I recommend?

If you're asking whether I'd buy software to use on Ubuntu, the short answer is as was; no. If you mean would I donate to an open-source project to support a hard-working developer (perhaps even one working on software I see benefit in but I wouldn't use), the answer would be yes.

What I was trying to say in the context I was saying it is: No, I have no recommendations because I don't 'buy' software to use on Ubuntu.

Anyway, this is getting off topic and getting I'm off out of here. Have fun ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast