Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paid Linux software - open or closed source. Recommendations?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Paid Linux software - open or closed source. Recommendations?

Only games (Osmos, Spacechem, a few other HiB things; and Artemis running on wine).

Most of my paid software is on my Windows box, beause it's not available for Linux.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

akulbe
    Bucky Ball: Why not? do you have something against paying a developer for the hard work they put into creating the applications that you use?
    Donation, note that it's meaning doesn't imply or impart any obligation:
    A donation is a gift given by physical or legal persons, typically for charitable purposes and/or to benefit a cause.
    As for commercial Linux software for PC users (non-business):

Why are so many Linux distros including Xubuntu (the distro your using) free and why do the members here freely share information and assist other users? Wouldn't their time be better spent profiting from said knowledge?

You asked a support question here (forums) regarding moving an HDD. I think it may be hypocritical to use a free distro and ask for free support, then suggest users should feel obligated to pay someone to create an app. Do you have a problem paying Canonical for Xubuntu support and for the knowledge base require to provide said support? Have you donate to all the apps that were included in the release or deleted them?

The difference is, this community and it's members doesn't seek to profit from helping others. Perhaps, this might explain one of the concepts better than I ever could. I hope someday (in the near future) every human has direct access to a PC, the net, information and quality software - regardless of their economic status. Writing the last line, while looking over my shoulder for MS hit men.

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As someone who has run Linux servers for over a decade now, my reason for using free and open-source applications has less to do with money than with security. If I'm going to expose my server to the wild-and-wooly Internet, I don't want to rely on a piece of closed-source software whose potential vulnerabilities are not exposed for all to see and repair.

I will admit I do enjoy not having to pay for any software for years now. I "pay" for my use of open applications by contributing to forums like this.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well, all the Humble Bundle games I have paid for, all the Steam and Desura games I have paid for. None of the games I have paid for (with a couple Bundle exceptions) have been open source.

That being said, I have contributed to various open source projects, monetarily and otherwise.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A few excellent (depending on your profession) paid programs that run on Linux include:

Guitar Pro (editor for guitar/bass tablature)
    Illumination Software Creator (tool for visually designing and developing software) In the software center.
    SEO PowerSuite (professional SEO software suite)
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

My paid Linux software programs are Crossover Linux, Mathematica 9, and PDF Studio Pro.

I also frequently donate to the vendors of "gratis" Linux programs, and I donate monthly to Linux Mint.
    Last edited by rewyllys; June 3rd, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

LGPLv4 ...

Adds a clause: 'the source must be made available for this program, but this program must not be sold in binary form for free'.

Just a suggestion. I suspect someone will flame me for it.

Free programs are great, but I'm getting a bit tired that there aren't better developed programs for such a great community. I feel like money would be a huge motivating factor at this stage in Linux development.

And by better programs, I mean **** that kicks all sorts of previous @ss of all the programs before it. Seriously, Linux apps are kick@ss today, imagine how much more kick@ss they'd be if you had legions of talented developers working on it day and night.

We've already seen what that can do for a market like the iPhone/Android. It should be applicable for Linux too.

I want to see a billion different apps for Linux within 5 years. I think it could happen too, with the right backing.
    Last edited by LordDelta; May 26th, 2013 at 07:15 AM.

Beans

I've used VueScan for a long time because it provided the best support for my scanner when I started using it, but it has become clear that Hamrick doesn't intend to continue Linux support. He hasn't removed it from his website yet, but he is still using Ubuntu 10.10 to build Linux versions and he has shown no willingness to provide any assistance with problems I've encountered on Ubuntu 13.10. I'm hoping sane will provide the capability I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by akulbe View Post
    ...the Ubuntu Software Center mostly has only games that are available for pay.
    I assume you mean the only software packages available for pay on the Software Center are games, not that only games are available on the Center. (I'm not sure that's accurate, either.)

But, no, I'm not using any "pay for" software. Not for ideological reasons. There's nothing I want to buy. I'd happily pay an App Store price for apps that improve on the ones I use now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    1. I use Moneydance, since not having Quicken made Linux a dealbreaker for my wife. Moneydance is an acceptable replacement (if not better).
    2. I have a registered Nero 4 Linux but have quit using it since K3B has evolved so well. K3B requires some K libraries but the extra space is well worth the effort.

In addition I don't mind paying for what I find useful. However I still like free since it's possible to pay a lot of money for trash software in any OS. Linux in general has some great software both free and premium. K has some polished software if you don't mind installing an extra 80meg of dependencies.
    Last edited by rrnbtter; December 18th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast