Thread: Anyone use etoile desktop?

Beans

Anyone use etoile desktop?

I found these images, and they look really nice.
    http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/

I wondered if anyone has tried etoile desktop environment? I don't know how to compile...

Beans

Re: Anyone use etoile desktop?

I've never used it. But I'll give it a shot soon and let you know what it's like

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Huh. Some thoughts.

• The Wikipedia page reads like ad copy, which makes it more likely to be written by people who work on the project than by people who liked the project.
    • The gorgeous, smoothish-yet-intensely-retro appearance in the link is concept art, and the current stable release doesn't look anything like that. It actually looks a lot like Openbox.
    • It's a GNUstep thing. I don't know why people would write GNUstep things in 2013.
    • Which may not apply to Étoilé at all, since the site and software seem to have been inactive for a year now.

So ... sounds like a fun way to spend a Saturday. There are notes on how to compile Étoilé and GNUstep for Ubuntu, but the site notes that there might be some package name changes in the dependencies. They did update their notes for 11.10, apparently. = )
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

In some ways I was kind of disappointed that this project never came to fruition; it might have moved GNUstep forward and made portability between OSX and Linux easier. It also seemed like a potentially compelling desktop environment back in the days before everyone and his brother was making a DE. It might have brought some more-than-skin-deep OSX concepts to the Linux desktop.

I tried to get it running several years back, but without much success.