Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multiple "Live CD" USB

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Multiple "Live CD" USB

Try if my special 'grub-n-iso' system with fake-pae is working. Yes I know it is not intended for your computer. But it was actually created on a 64-bit machine with an intel i5 cpu, and it should work there as well as anything between that and Pentium M. You can replace the lubuntu.iso and or rename another iso to second.iso and have it in the same directory, the top level directory in the first partition of the USB drive. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/grub-n-iso

If it works, you can make a similar drive, or edit the partitions (expand the first partition to fill your USB drive) to provide space for all your iso files.

And then edit .../boot/grub/grub.cfg (on the USB drive) to fit your iso files.

Edit 1: 'grub-n-iso-n-swap' allows for two CD size iso files.
    Edit 2: This USB drive boots in a new computer only when you run it without UEFI (in CSM mode)
    Last edited by sudodus; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I ended up trying the procedure at the link below, and I can now boot from the USB stick and get the Easy2Boot menu. Unfortunately now I'm getting an error message whenever I try to actually boot into any of the ISO's - same one every time "Error 30: Invalid Argument".

The really screwy thing is that when I boot the USB using QEMU, I can boot into any of the ISO's just fine.

http://en.positon.org/post/The-ultim...n%3A-Easy2Boot

Beans
    Hidden!

Now I think the problem is not booting, but that the iso files are not treated in a correct way. The text in what corresponds to grub.cfg (the menuentries) are not correctly addressing either the iso files themselves or the files in the filesystem inside the iso files.

-o-

If you try the 'grub-n-iso' method of post #21 and succeed, you have a method that you can use. The 'grub-n-iso' method clones an image to the USB pendrive, and it should be obvious if it works or not. I think it will work, and then you can inspect and use it as a template to make a multi-boot system.

Beans
    Hidden!

Look at the attached file. It shows corresponding menuentries in grub.cfg and iso files in a USB drive. The 'path' may vary depending on how you have mounted it, 'path'/boot/grub/grub.cfg, for example /media/grub-n-iso/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Code:
    set timeout=10
    set default=0

menuentry "Run Lubuntu ISO (from /lubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso)" {
     loopback loop /lubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/lubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso splash --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }

menuentry "Run Ubuntu ISO (from /ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso)" {
     loopback loop /ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso splash --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123